Collision on Bats in Bat Dungeons

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Collision on Bats in Bat Dungeons

Postby Austinh15 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:20 pm

So there my team was, pushing through the bat dungeon we traveled over an hour to get to. We were doing pretty well, nothing too serious though we stopped for soft health breaks here and there. We opened a room to be met by 3 purple bats or "BroodMothers" our best fighter charged in attempts to stop them from spawning too many bats, as we could be overrun had it not been taken care of swiftly. He got surrounded, and quickly it was apparent he needed help. There were still brown bats flapping around wildly and attacking the three other members who weren't quite as combat able as the two of us who were now trying to deal with the Broodmothers, so I told them to close their openings and wait for assistance.

Now if you've been in a bat dungeon, you know how sporadic and outright wild the bats tend to fly. Even clicking attack on some of the buggers is likely to take you maybe 2 clicks. That's fine, I understand that and I accept that. What annoys me is how the Broodmother's spawn has a collision hitbox that can, and will, prevent you from initiating combat with the Broodmother herself, essentially making her unable to be targeted.

In a dungeon where you will be lawn mowing hundreds of bats, some with health in the 1000 range, and also one that has an interesting but frustrating map generation of narrow halls and cliffs:

Why do bats have collision boxes? At least consider removing the Broodmother's spawn's collision. It can be quite frustrating when you're TRYING to target the Broodmother as any smart person would, but you can't because some of her offspring are "blocking your approach". What about moves like storm of swords or full circle? Punch em both? How can I use those moves if I can't target the thing in the first place?

I'm unsure if this is working as intended, and if it is then I'll deal with it. I just figured it wouldn't be that crazy of a change and could save a lot of headaches. And if this has already been suggested before please forgive me and my ignorance. :)

(PS: Sorry for any salt that may be laced in this post, these nasty lacerations are gonna take a while :lol: )
Austinh15

Re: Collision on Bats in Bat Dungeons

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:47 pm

+1

Also mabe let us change targets by click their portrait on the top right? Can we already do that? Never tried. Bats are hard to hit, especially with bows/slings.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Re: Collision on Bats in Bat Dungeons

Postby klockworkclone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:03 am

+1

P.s yes you can click the portraits to change targets but that mechanic is pretty much useless in bat dungeon as you get swarmed by so many at once. then the purple bats start mass spawning more and more to the point they no longer show themselves in the list becoming even harder to target or sometimes once you do get them targeted they will start to cycle out of the circle your killing at which point your then trapped within a circle of never ending bat armies with no hope of breaking through making the dungeon itself pretty much impossible unless your one of the very few groups that has 10+ hearthlings experienced in combat and good to go for a fight
klockworkclone

Return to Critique & Ideas