Murderous rage drops ominous scents

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Murderous rage drops ominous scents

Postby reticent » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:50 am

• Murderous rage is activated either at hearthfire (or perhaps ancestral shrine), this prevents the player from popping it in an instant and on a whim to murder an unsuspecting sprucecap, and enjoying the knock-out protection right up until the fact.
  • Murderous rage has a few chances an hour to drop a special short-lasting scent. Each scent is either visible, or not, to any hearthling, and the odds are influenced by a comparison of detector's vs. owner's psyche values. Intuition is imprecise.
  • The owner doesn't see his own scents.
  • The scent's function is to serve as a vague sort of a warning, a heads up, a hunch, an eerie feeling, a smell of blood on the air, but not much more. Unlike most scents, it shouldn't give accurate information of where the owner might be, but potentially, and depending on examiner's psyche, it could:
    >say how recent it is
    >give a very imprecise tracking pie pointing in the direction of the owner (think 180 degrees). Psyche could once gain play a role, and perhaps character with extremely high values in the stat could enjoy somewhat higher precision, but heavy investment would be required before one could become a PSYCHIC DETECTIVE.
    >allow to identify the scent's owner should you meet
Some players will see the scent and immediately log out. Some will play cautiously. Some will forewarn others in realm chat (and the owner might read about it). Some might set out to hunt the owner themselves, if they're bored and powerful (good luck tracking him based on a hunch alone though). Naturally the scent has the highest chance of appearing in the place where the owner spends the most time, potentially drawing attention of idle passersby to their base (I've got an eerie feeling about my neighbour). If you see these around your palisade, better be on guard. And so on.

Just a random idea that's meant to be more for fun, than impact, and to make players under the influence of the buff feel a higher level of unease leaving home with murderous intent. Murder is serious business.
reticent

Re: Murderous rage drops ominous scents

Postby vatas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:32 pm

The idea is worth reading about at least.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:42 pm

vatas wrote:The idea is worth reading about at least.

Man, can you do this for every long post? You are a hero.

tbh this idea seems pretty fucking cool, the idea of not being able to pop Murderous Rage on a whim sounds reasonable and the benign scents that are just there to warn sound pretty cool too.
Zentetsuken

Postby loftar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 pm

reticent wrote:[list][*] Murderous rage is activated either at hearthfire (or perhaps ancestral shrine), this prevents the player from popping it in an instant and on a whim to murder an unsuspecting sprucecap, and enjoying the knock-out protection right up until the fact.

I'm not too sure about this. Half the point of Murderous Rage, I think, is to allow players the option to "escalate" combat situations with no way back, as a choice in the heat of battle that they may or may not come to regret.

As for the scents, I don't mind the idea, but I'm also not sure it would make enough of a difference to be worth implementing. Not sure.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:19 pm

loftar wrote:but I'm also not sure it would make enough of a difference to be worth implementing. Not sure.

to be fair, this can be said about a lot of content, I mean you guys implemented creamy cock.

some things are just fun without having to be worth
Zentetsuken

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:10 pm

loftar wrote:but I'm also not sure it would make enough of a difference to be worth implementing. Not sure.

isn't that a perfect comment on recent archery changes?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Return to Critique & Ideas