cliffs and objects

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

cliffs and objects

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm sure it's not a trivial problem to solve, but it's annoying to cilmb a cliff and an object you think isn't in the way is blocking you from moving and the only option is to go back the direction you came from. This could use some sort of fix. (i'm sure this has been posted before, but it's been a while.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: cliffs and objects

Postby maze » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:54 pm

+1

I've had some people run into this problem. and even worse get full on stuck because they were aggroed by bear or something.

This needed to be fixed.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby loftar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:58 pm

What would be an example of this?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:44 am

loftar wrote:What would be an example of this?

Trees and shrubs are the worst problem. They can be just far enough away from the cliff for the game to give you clear space to jump down, but you can't move in any direction, either by trying to sidestep along the cliff or move away from the cliff. i'll try to catch a screen shot later. I don't know why I didn't get one and post it.

i'm not sure if player built items could cause a problem. I haven't really tried to force it, though seems like I've had issues in the past with moveables (logs, crates/containers) and stockpiles, I'd have to double check to make sure they are a problem, too.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aoyama » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am

This happened to me too, I was unable to climb back up, luckily I could just chop the tree down and remove the stump.
Aoyama

Postby Vigilance » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

how about we just (probably drastically slow down the mapgen, and) have cliffs not let trees/bushes grow within a tile of them when the worlds being produced
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:49 pm

At the request of loftar:

Here's a couple of situations I ran into yesterday. I turned on "show hitboxes" in Amber to make visualization a bit easier. The first is a case where I dropped down behind the tree. I was able to turn around, but couldn't move away or climb back up because I was clipped into it. I ended up having to hearth to regain freedom of movement. The second I was able to climb back up, even move around behind the tree, but couldn't walk out to either side or slide along the cliff face.
Attachments
cliff clipping 1.gif
cliff clipping 1.gif (86.32 KiB) Viewed 615 times
MagicManICT

Postby qoonpooka » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Had this happen to me and I couldn't jump back up. Thank goodness I had an axe with me. Took an hour and a half to hack the thing down because I ran out of water, and the stump also needed destroyed, but I did eventually get free.
qoonpooka

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 pm

qoonpooka wrote:Had this happen to me and I couldn't jump back up. Thank goodness I had an axe with me. Took an hour and a half to hack the thing down because I ran out of water, and the stump also needed destroyed, but I did eventually get free.

This is what I usually do if I have water on me, but a kuksa in a busy area just didn't leave me feeling safe from anyone that might be running around with a bow to snipe me.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:03 am

Mmm, seems related.

Not allowing me into cave.
Not allowing me back up the cliff.
Not allowing me to change location/position (other than just rotating).

... O well, back to HF.
mvgulik

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas