cliffs and objects

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: cliffs and objects

Postby loftar » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Right, I get what problem you're referring to now. Not sure what the solution would be. The easy solution would be the mapgen one (and no, it wouldn't be much of a slowdown at all), but that obviously doesn't help now, and I'm also not really sure I want to keep trees and other objects away from the ridges. I think it looks nice when they're close together.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 pm

loftar wrote:Right, I get what problem you're referring to now. Not sure what the solution would be. The easy solution would be the mapgen one (and no, it wouldn't be much of a slowdown at all), but that obviously doesn't help now, and I'm also not really sure I want to keep trees and other objects away from the ridges. I think it looks nice when they're close together.

If you jump up or down cliff I think you should always be able to go back from new location. This seem like best solution to me, but maybe it is hard to program this exception.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby qoonpooka » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:53 pm

loftar wrote:Right, I get what problem you're referring to now. Not sure what the solution would be. The easy solution would be the mapgen one (and no, it wouldn't be much of a slowdown at all), but that obviously doesn't help now, and I'm also not really sure I want to keep trees and other objects away from the ridges. I think it looks nice when they're close together.

There's a bunch of objects that block a jump from happening, maybe either have the cliffjump check the landing zone for the ability to leave before allowing the jump.

Alternately have an escape valve that means you can always reverse whatever move got you stuck in the first place?
qoonpooka

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 pm

qoonpooka wrote:There's a bunch of objects that block a jump from happening, maybe either have the cliffjump check the landing zone for the ability to leave before allowing the jump.

Alternately have an escape valve that means you can always reverse whatever move got you stuck in the first place?

The first would be preferable, but the second would be fine... annoying, but fine. However, why couldn't you actually climb out from behind the object you're stuck on? I can think of real life situations where people have literally been stuck between a rock and a hard place, but those are some very, very odd situations. This is what I'd prefer, and is what makes it a non-trivial fix because allowing this could introduce several potential bugs that would be very exploitative.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:26 am

For what its worth ...
Re-found that troublesome cave-entrance with opposite cliff again.
And all troubles where gone.
mvgulik

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Cliffs

Make it so you can only jump from a completely open tile to another. Even if you're "stuck" on the other side you can jump back to the other side.

Push

Yesterday I got pinned to a wall by my own cart. let us use the push command on objects, including carts and wagons. Possible gateway to buffing wagons, but multiple wagons could still block a gate.

Backpedal

Possibly difficult to implement. Character walks backwards a tile at crawl speed, tracing previous path regardless if it is blocked. Allows escape from any imprisonment. An extreme solution but potentially necessary considering how unforgiving this game is. Possibility of abuse by having an alt walk through a construction site, then backpedal through the pali. Perhaps players, walls and fences could be exempt.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby mvgulik » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24 am

Walked of a cliff I did not see, while pulling my cart.
So ... Jumped back.
Big mistake. lol
Nowhere to go anymore, but hearting home ... again.
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Didn't know you could even climb cliffs while pulling a cart. Seems an obvious fix to me....
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby friendlinzh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:34 am

Trees and shrubs are the worst problem.i was unable to climb back up
friendlinzh

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:10 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Didn't know you could even climb cliffs while pulling a cart. Seems an obvious fix to me....

I think carts are a bigger problem. I've walked straight into a cave wall and been pinned. Have to hearth, smash the cart, or call a friend.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas