Credos bad

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Credos bad

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Tamalak wrote:Credos need a bit of tweaking. But I like the concept and I like most of the implementation. Credos ok.

I unambiguously believe that Credos are good, and look forward to the addition of more of them.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Undefined » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:03 pm

This is the first world I've played with Credos, I categorically loathe them.
More than anything it's the inter-dependence of it that I hate.

The most enjoyment I get from playing is mining, in order to produce the best quality produce I can, because that's always the goal, I needed to get Quarryman, but to mine rocks good, I need to pick flowers and complete the Forager Credo (lolwut?)
Then of course I want the Miner credo.
But to get best value out of my ore I now need the Blacksmith credo or else I'm losing quality from the coal loading bonus, so I need to complete Hunter (lolwut?) and Lumberjack (lolwut?) in order to even start Blacksmith.
These make zero sense, I don't want to hunt animals and I don't want to cut trees, I want to smelt my ore...
Of course the argument is there that you don't NEED a credo to do something, but if you want to be the best, produce the best, maximise production, which of course you do, pushing quality is the foundation of the quality game, then the Credo is essential purely because it's an option.
If I want to be a Cave Hermit, I will of course have to be a Fisherman first.

Make it logical or just completely remove it plz.
Undefined

Postby CSPAN » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:28 pm

I agree, credos should be linear and tiered. Each credo requiring a set amount of quests depending on it's tier. Credos create village members that are difficult to replace, which if anything hastens a village's death when someone important quits.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:48 am

CSPAN wrote:I agree, credos should be linear and tiered. Each credo requiring a set amount of quests depending on it's tier. Credos create village members that are difficult to replace, which if anything hastens a village's death when someone important quits.

if your village doesnt share important accounts it was dead from the start tbh.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Undefined » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:40 am

Since this is the first world I've played with Credos, I've also noticed another really negative result... I've seen the same thing shared across many games.

Credos give players a path to follow and a goal to achieve, this is super positive. Not everyone handles the sandbox experience and appreciate being given a set goal and reward. These same people would in previous worlds I've played be the ones who log in and ask what they should do for the village without really any direction or long term plans of their own.
Now that Credos are a thing they happily follow those... Until they run out, or until they become some mind-knumbingly long that they get bored. The result of both is the same, they just stop playing, suddenly there's no direction or goal and they have lost the will to actually sandbox their own path and end up not knowing what to do anymore.
The single minded focus of, when I play Haven I do my credo quests lasts for a couple of week or more, which is long enough for it to become entrenched behaviour.

Had they never had someone come and hold their hand they wouldn't miss it at the end when that hand is suddenly removed.

I'd love to see some metrics of a player's activity while persuing credos and then afterwards, because from my observation it seems way too common to be a coincidence.
Undefined

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:14 pm

I don't mind the credos at all, though I'm not running 50 alts, either.

That said, you really do need to rethink the structuring of the quests. Radiant quests are fine, but they are random, and that impacts the feel of the endeavor, flavoring it chaotic rather than meaningful.

It would make more sense to have, for each level, a mix of radiant and planned quests of increasing difficulty, relative of course to the level of the credo. The difficult quests should be planned and summative, meaning that, if the radiant quests require you to mine 5 different ores and chip 5 types of stone, the summative quest or quests at the end should require you to build or smelt or smith something. This would, if nothing else, add a climactic feeling to the experience.

That's only a small change, of course, and wouldn't address most of the complaints here, but it would improve the player experience a bit.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:15 pm

ThorleifCleaver wrote:I don't mind the credos at all, though I'm not running 50 alts, either.

That said, you really do need to rethink the structuring of the quests. Radiant quests are fine, but they are random, and that impacts the feel of the endeavor, flavoring it chaotic rather than meaningful.

It would make more sense to have, for each level, a mix of radiant and planned quests of increasing difficulty, relative of course to the level of the credo. The difficult quests should be planned and summative, meaning that, if the radiant quests require you to mine 5 different ores and chip 5 types of stone, the summative quest or quests at the end should require you to build or smelt or smith something. This would, if nothing else, add a climactic feeling to the experience.

That's only a small change, of course, and wouldn't address most of the complaints here, but it would improve the player experience a bit.

"Radiant quests" isn't a generic term for randomly generated quests.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:
ThorleifCleaver wrote:I don't mind the credos at all, though I'm not running 50 alts, either.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Radiant_Quests

Okay. Thanks.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:02 pm

ThorleifCleaver wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Radiant_Quests

Okay. Thanks.

No worries. It just bears mentioning, as it refers to a specific piece of tech rather than the random nature.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes, I was being slightly sarcastic, because the proprietary tech does, in fact, itself refer to randomization factors in generating quests. So, yes, the popular usage is appropriate and the terminology clarification did not bear on my point or the thread itself, really, where "radiant quest" is used in the more popular sense. Anyway.
ThorleifCleaver

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas