Certificate expired

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Certificate expired

Postby shubla » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 am

Just saying.
Also, maybe get some proper certificate (like from let's encrypt) this time?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Certificate expired

Postby loftar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:09 am

shubla wrote:Just saying.

Thanks, should be fixed now.
shubla wrote:Also, maybe get some proper certificate (like from let's encrypt) this time?

I ensure you the certificate is "proper". I think the expression you're searching for is "approved by the protection racket".
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sabinati » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:21 am

what's your objection to let's encrypt though? it's free and seems like it would take minimal effort.
sabinati

Postby loftar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:46 am

sabinati wrote:what's your objection to let's encrypt though? it's free and seems like it would take minimal effort.

The fact that it entrenches the stupid X.509 authority structure even further. I'd be happy to sign my certificates with LetsEncrypt if it weren't for the fact that X.509 means that that is then the only certificate I can sign them with.

I have actually strongly considered using LetsEncrypt lately, precisely because it is free and easy, but that's how they get you, isn't it? :P
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:20 am

loftar wrote:I have actually strongly considered using LetsEncrypt lately, precisely because it is free and easy, but that's how they get you, isn't it? :P

Sounds like another corporation that is "free and easy" to sign up with...
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aceb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:30 pm

But even if not free, isn't it really cheap to do?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Ysh » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Aceb wrote:But even if not free, isn't it really cheap to do?

It is not about price, loftar has philosophical aversion to system.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby vatas » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:29 pm

I just watched this video and on first entry, (Korean game called "Flyff") it is pointed out that the game's website doesn't support SSL (at 1.58 mark.) While HnH does have SSL, the process of enabling Loftar's certificate doesn't seem easy. I regard myself as quite computer literate and can't follow the instructions on Mozilla (I'm pretty sure that they've made it harder or at least obfuscated the process though, which seems silly, are they expecting grandmas to be tricked into installing custom certificates?)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:38 pm

vatas wrote:can't follow the instructions on Mozilla (I'm pretty sure that they've made it harder or at least obfuscated the process though, which seems silly, are they expecting grandmas to be tricked into installing custom certificates?)

They have obfuscated it, and have changed the procedure a few times in the last couple of years. Doing a search for it, the last time I checked (a few months ago), would still pull up the old, old instructions (around 2015 or so).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 pm

Well there is a good reason why accepting custom certificates has been made difficult.
I somewhat understand loftars concerns, but there isn't really a better option.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas