Player Versus Player Interaction Change

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Player Versus Player Interaction Change

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:01 pm

PrincessBubblegum wrote:I think you are just low on experience with griefers, they can do much more than just cussing: they can follow you around cussing all day, stealing or destroying the corpses of everything you hunt, maybe that sweet bear that you almost died to kill, they can follow you in the cave where you're mining, because you didn't just claim every square meter where you move, and destroy the pillars so they cave you in, they can steal or destroy your rowboat, destroy your wagon you are even on, if they are strong enough they can bash your parked snekkja, while they follow you they could forage everything they see around you just to make it very difficult or impossible for you to forage what you need, they can pile logs and shit in front of your gates and around your base all day long just to make you mad, or just dig ditches around your place for the sake of making everything annoying and uncomfortable, they could rawhide your horses serially or attack them.
These are just the examples I can think right now on the top of my head, having never been griefer or troll but having seen the kind of stuff they do, I'm sure that some real ones could find many more ways to just bring you to exasperation and force you to attack them.

People already would do this if they wanted to. The moment you attack someone and ko right now you get red handed. Which means you can be killed not just Ko’d. If people were as dedicated as your making it out to be theyd already be doing this just to kill you. And if Someone’s following outside your home then just hearth and go another direction. And I do believe if you don’t have it claimed it’s not yours and you should expect it to be stolen or destroyed.
Mario_Demorez

Postby PrincessBubblegum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:31 pm

People aren't as dedicated now because in this game, unlike others where this exact thing occurs regularly, they have nothing to gain from this obsessive behavior.
If being a criminal is the only way to be killed, and it gives your attacker a way to loot you without any consequence too, these are 2 gains from forcing you to become a criminal.
You give them gains, they will do it, guaranteed. I happens in every game.
PrincessBubblegum

Postby vatas » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:51 pm

I think everybody should read Developer Thoughts on PvP before replying to this thread.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Aceb » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:51 pm

[...]
[15:09] aceb: A criminal is someone who is an outlaw.
[15:09] aceb: Also anybody doing any battles.
[15:10] Mario: No I understand what you were saying now
[15:10] Mario: You can trick someone to come Agro an alt outside
[15:10] Mario: And then their a criminal
[15:10] Mario: That already exist in game though
[15:10] aceb: Yeah.
[15:10] aceb: But instead of being protected by "law"
[15:10] aceb: I would have one hour punishment, shitty nidbane or need to use the airlock to stay safe.
[15:10] aceb: Here? Anybody going on me would become criminal instead.
[15:11] aceb: I would be the victim in all of that from all sides.
[15:11] Mario: Yes
[15:12] Mario: Not sure why the person would have to come out tho
[15:12] Porter: I leave an assault scent by pushing my buddy who lives next to me haha
[15:12] aceb: It was just the easiest explain
[15:12] Mario: I think that’s a fucking dumb mechanic
[15:12] Mario: Assault scents for pushing
[15:12] Porter: Pushing is hilarious
[15:13] aceb: Then don't push Him
[15:13] Mario: Exactly
[15:13] Mario: I almost killed my self when it first came out
[15:13] aceb: The scent exist because there was certain situations that could be potentially abused.
[15:13] Mario: I was spam pushing villagers
[15:13] aceb: Also to prevent what You are speaking of.
[15:13] Mario: “You can’t afford to do this”
[15:13] Mario: Or some shit like that
[15:14] Mario: Could make it if you murder someone at all you become a criminal
[15:14] aceb: Still, it doesn't explain why your system is better.
[15:14] Mario: Cus right now you can do all the things you just said
[15:14] aceb: Making potentially more exploits that were exactly for this reason, patched.
[15:14] Porter: I love when you push someone and then the characters stand straight up and look at each other like, hey what the fuck man
[15:16] aceb: And under your system I can do even more and be considered a victim.
[15:16] aceb: It's not any better, that's the point.
[15:17] aceb: It's at best exactly the same, at worse, not acceptable.
[15:17] aceb: I see even Tarnum reacted to my words to agree.
[15:17] aceb: And sorry, but He is somebody who KNOWS.
[15:17] Mario: I understand the current system
[15:17] aceb: It seems not enough in my humble opinion.
[15:18] Mario: I agree with your point. I just don’t like the current system. Seems less friendly.
[15:18] Mario: Trying to find a different better system.
[15:18] aceb: And yours is even less friendlier, trust me.
[15:18] Mario: I see why
[15:18] Mario: That’s why I posted it
[15:18] Mario: To get feedback
[15:19] aceb: And here it is.
[15:19] Mario: Thank ya
[...]
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby dafels » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:56 pm

vatas wrote:I think everybody should read Developer Thoughts on PvP before replying to this thread.

It has been almost 5 years since they posted that. I wonder if anything has changed in regards of their opinion on PvP
dafels

Postby shubla » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:44 pm

I think that I suggested some similar changes. But without completely removing pvp.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Mario_Demorez wrote:If you attack someone who isn’t technically doing any crimes you are still a criminal. But you wouldn’t be able to kill them unless they’re on your claim, and if they are on your claim no you wouldn’t be a criminal.

Capitalism (as it works in the US), Communism (as it works in China), etc, are full of things that aren't "technically" a crime.

Bad example as it would be easy to resolve. Just extend the claim to surround the asshole, and then kill them for free. Seems pretty criminal to me. What stops some developed character from doing this to newbs?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lyrroth » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am

another one who thinks they grabbed the king by feet. as i said in another topic
Lyrroth wrote:seems we all dont know how pvp looks like
Lyrroth

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas