Reduce stone stockpile decay in caves

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Reduce stone stockpile decay in caves

Postby vatas » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Title. they should receive practically zero decay in my opinion. Also devs either messed something up or made undocumented change, caves definitely have more than 10% of over world decay.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Reduce stone stockpile decay in caves

Postby Sevenless » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:25 pm

In general decay seems... abnormally fast right now.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:49 pm

vatas wrote:caves definitely have more than 10% of over world decay.

I didn't think I was seeing things. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I'm not necessarily upset with it, as if you want to protect something, you should have it on a claim. Some of the "cave hideout" leftovers have been terribly slow to decay in the past.

I will agree that the stone stockpiles (dirt, other 'non-perishables' too) should probably be significantly slower to decay in general... at least by changing some value on them. Then again, I am prone to leaving stones scattered far and wide. The only thing I make sure to transport quickly is ore. The exception on stone is if I'm looking for high quality or that particular stone. For the rest... I went through the effort to get it, and as long as I'm playing, I don't want to lose it! I also don't want to haul it off to my village claim on that level.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:34 am

Also, devs should probably take a look at the change to stockpiles spilling out their content instead of it just disappearing when destroyed. This is just speculation but I think it's possible that stonepiles used to soak most decay hits they take but now, every single one of them spills some of the stones.

Stone doesn't rot or get ruined by water like some other stuff that is reasonable to decay.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Mario_Demorez » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:29 pm

I paved a new road out and less than 8 hours later there was already vines growing on it. 8 hours too quick. I wasn’t even done flattening a 72x73 area out before my oldest dirt piles started decaying. Speed of decay is too high rn imo.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Vigilance » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
vatas wrote:caves definitely have more than 10% of over world decay.

I didn't think I was seeing things. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I'm not necessarily upset with it, as if you want to protect something, you should have it on a claim. Some of the "cave hideout" leftovers have been terribly slow to decay in the past.

sure thats cool i agree peoples shit shouldnt be there weeks later but i can literally lose a stockpile in a few hours right now.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Kearn » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:43 pm

decay seems kinda broken right now, yeah. built a bunch of roundpole fences in a cave to block something off and 3 different segments took decay hits while i was just standing in the area for a few hours. seems ridiculously fast even for overworld decay

the bizarre thing is that none of the fences have been getting decay hits at all even after several days now that i'm not there. i wonder if something is bugged out and causing decay ticks to refresh over and over while areas are loaded, at least in underground areas
Kearn

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Kearn wrote:the bizarre thing is that none of the fences have been getting decay hits at all even after several days now that i'm not there. i wonder if something is bugged out and causing decay ticks to refresh over and over while areas are loaded, at least in underground areas

Decay mechanics work the same as always as far as I can tell. If the area is loaded, they process on some timer. There was a change to the system last world, but loftar didn't share specifics, just something about a fix for areas that rarely got loaded, so "never decayed."

Vigilance wrote:i can literally lose a stockpile in a few hours right now.

Pretty sure I mentioned this in the second half of my post.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Vigilance » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:06 am

Two days later my house in my mine is sub 50%. Tar kilns are at 25%.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Burinn » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:07 am

nah
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas