Spring is actually the worst season

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Spring is actually the worst season

Postby Keiriku » Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 pm

jordancoles wrote:All seeds should be back by day 3-5 of spring. 10 days of this bullshit after 10 days of winter is too much and people will stomach it for the first seasonal cycle, but the 2nd..?

Double this. At this moment spring gave me similar or even worse expirience than winter, mostly due to off-season quests (credo and regular), tree/bush seeds not growing and my expectations. If count winter in, 14-15 days of pause for some activities feels slighter much than needed, especially for the 1st cycle of the in-game year when everyone actively playing. For the past few days I've constantly had a thought that it would be much better if tree/bush seeds spawned mid-spring, like bee hives did and like midges do mid-summer.
Keiriku

Postby Zampfeo » Thu May 20, 2021 5:30 pm

* Coniferous trees produce seeds year round, but at a reduced rate so they don't become the de-facto quality raising tree (cones IRL are not seasonal, cones can take up to 1-2 years to mature, and there are often cones in different stages present on the same tree)
* Fruit trees give flowers instead of fruits in spring
* Ability to take a cutting from a tree and plant it in a stump to grow a tree of same quality (so we aren't waiting 2 seasons for seeds to grow before chopping a tree)
* Cave tree unaffected by seasons
* More uses for flowers. Bouquet of Flowers being the only craftable and requiring cloth is an issue. Flowers in vase symbel, flower garland symbel+necklace, flower in hair for mask slot +cha, etc.
Zampfeo

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm

Keiriku wrote: If count winter in, 14-15 days of pause for some activities feels slighter much than needed, especially for the 1st cycle of the in-game year when everyone actively playing.

I keep saying the cycle is either extremely long, and needs to be condensed down so that a cycle happens along with what one expects out of a yearly planting and harvesting cycle, or that is isn't long enough and that seasons need to have better defined roles and activities for each so that no subset of players (particularly new players) feels locked out.

Winter, at least, has seemingly become the "pvp playground' with kicksledding.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Thu May 20, 2021 9:08 pm

Procne wrote:Trees might not have seeds but at least they regrow leaves and boughs. And you can resume farming and tree planting

Day 19 of Spring. Neither my Tea Bushes nor my Laurel Trees have regenerated any leaves. (I have plenty of spare leaves for both, but they definitely don't seem to regenerate in spring.)
VDZ

Postby dageir » Fri May 21, 2021 4:25 pm

Historically spring was the WORST season. If you had not been frugal during winter you died in spring before you could harvest anything. As a non-player I support spring in the way it is. Actually the seasons should follow IRL seasons in duration. The same goes for the speed of which things grow. Also introduce decay. Milk goes sour real fast.
dageir

Postby Lightning2 » Fri May 21, 2021 4:42 pm

dageir wrote:Historically spring was the WORST season. If you had not been frugal during winter you died in spring before you could harvest anything. As a non-player I support spring in the way it is. Actually the seasons should follow IRL seasons in duration. The same goes for the speed of which things grow. Also introduce decay. Milk goes sour real fast.

Calm down satan
Lightning2

Postby jordancoles » Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 pm

Here we are, days into summer and I'm still waiting on 70% of the seeds to return in my tree patch

Why?

Seeds should begin returning mid-spring, not at the very start of summer. I don't think I will be playing by the time next summer roles around because trees are such a core part of the grind and without them I don't feel like I can progress in a way that I'm satisfied with. Once I am finished with my credos I don't know what else I could occupy my time with during this unreasonably long drought
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue May 25, 2021 10:28 pm

I have to agree with Jordan here, Spring was arduous to get through, more so than winter this time, and we are still feeling the after effects of spring.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby bmjclark » Wed May 26, 2021 2:46 am

I'd actually rather have 10 days of winter and 5 days of spring. At least winter has kicksleds
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby magisticus » Wed May 26, 2021 8:19 am

jordancoles wrote:Here we are, days into summer and I'm still waiting on 70% of the seeds to return in my tree patch

Why?

Seeds should begin returning mid-spring, not at the very start of summer. I don't think I will be playing by the time next summer roles around because trees are such a core part of the grind and without them I don't feel like I can progress in a way that I'm satisfied with. Once I am finished with my credos I don't know what else I could occupy my time with during this unreasonably long drought

+1 also finding tree seed randomness crazy annoying. Makes it impossible to plan progression when some types of trees just have no seeds yet. Slowing down natural progression this way also increases the importance of forcing quality at game start by getting the best of everything, particularly crazy level bones. Domestic increases to quality just can't catch up. I think it would be better for tree seeds to return gradually through the spring and all be back by day 1 of summer, another way to make it feel a little more like we're getting somewhere would be to make the tree formula a little more favourable to progression.
magisticus

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas