Please do something about credo quests

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Please do something about credo quests

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 27, 2020 9:27 am

Why on earth would you think I'm competitive at all?
I've engaged in almost no(maybe just no) competition this world.
My gripe with credos is partially that they're unfun, but predominately that they're a prerequisite to doing almost everything in what is supposed to be a sandbox.

Adding arbitrary instrumental goals to terminal goals in a sandbox game is a big gay. I suspect hating credos correlates with having goals more than anything else. It just so happens competitive players by definition have goals. I think most people that decided for whatever reason they want to do something, be it for competitive reasons, for fun, or whatever, would be upset if they were told their first objective towards achieving that end is delivering 500 lizards to random trees in the vicinity, which is basically what credos are.

No matter what you want to do in haven, the first step is delivering 500 lizards to random trees.
Credos bad.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby svino » Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:No matter what you want to do in haven, the first step is delivering 500 lizards to random trees.
Credos bad.

You dont need to have credos to play the game in sandbox mode.

By your logic, everything is pretty much the first step to reaching players' real goal.

"No matter what you want to do in haven, the first step is to get yeomanry and build a palisade out of 500 random trees.
Palisades also bad?"
svino

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 27, 2020 10:20 am

This is an MMORPG. There being mechanics to stop other players from fucking with your shit in general is not arbitrary. If there were nobody else playing, but all else were the same, building a palisade would not even be on the radar for most goals.

It is arbitrary, unfun, and repetitive that if I want to make my animals fuck better, or sew better, or run fasters I need to deliver hundreds of lizards to trees.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Hasta » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Why on earth would you think I'm competitive at all?

Excuse me for assuming that.

I still strongly disagree with this:

SnuggleSnail wrote:predominately that they're a prerequisite to doing almost everything

I believe I read into your previous comments that you consider "doing everything at the best possible rate/quality/efficiency" as "doing everything". In other words, that you're being "do your best or don't bother doing at all" competitive.

You still can have a pretty neat game with no credos whatsoever. They're tedious, prerequisites are idiotic and they're bad in general, but they are NOT "a must", not at all. Shuffle the prereq's a bit -- you get my "fair amount of work for fair benefits that you want" vote.
Hasta

Postby azrid » Wed May 27, 2020 10:55 am

Ive seen many people fall into the "I must complete credos" trap and hate playing the game or burn out.
Biggest problem with credos is people lacking moderation.
There are some smaller problems like impossibly hard credo quests randomly popping up all the time no matter how many times you abandon and reach that point again.
The example OP brought to us is very bad since farmer credo is the easiest one to get. It only requires you to plan out your farm before you start it.
I think people always ask for too much when it comes to changing credos.
azrid

Postby Bad_Habit123 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm

I think suicide option should exist until the game becomes finished. Those wipes and new worlds just make credos useless. I mean you have to spend thousands hours to get credos you want done, play pleased for few weeks or months and than BANG introducing world 13, fuck you and all the time you've spend, completing our unfair and broken credos quests :?
"Survival can be summed up in three words - never give up. That's the heart of it really.Just keep trying." -- Bear Grylls
Bad_Habit123

Postby valeriesusanne » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:39 pm

Ha! Not complaining here, just happy to see that I'm not the only one frustrated with credos (just had to abandon down to 4/5-5/6 from 5/5-6/6 after three weeks on Miner's credo). This forum sort of reminds me of group therapy :)

"Don't worry, though, when you finally finish getting all the credos you need to function a new world will be announced, and you can do it all over again. Your torment is eternal. Hope is a lie. Credos bad."

(You mean like last world, where it took me three months to finish the Nomad credo, only to have exactly ONE day to play with it?)

Frustrating, but I'm not losing sleep over it. Helps to be old, I guess ;)
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby vatas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:50 pm

Did I ever make a proper post of my idea that

*Instead of every Credo level having X steps, they have more dynamic level up bar for each level
*Quests fill up variable amounts of bar.
*You get to choose between three progress quests and one generally easier that doesn't give any progress, but will reroll all the quests.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Real men do credos at 50 quests per level

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Hasta wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:This is literally hell and Satan won't let us commit suicide to escape.
Don't worry, though, when you finally finish getting all the credos you need to function a new world will be announced, and you can do it all over again.

If you're so competitive you can't see yourself functioning in this game without getting most, if not all, credos, yet not hard-core enough to stop whining that attaining a lot of credos is hard - your hell is of your own making, dude.

Pick a lane. Either settle for just the right amount of credos (before they get "too hard") or stop complaining and do what you think you must do to "function".

credos bad
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas