Please do something about credo quests

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Please do something about credo quests

Postby kirion » Fri May 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Seriously, this stop being funny after the 3rd time, let alone the 20th :

(I don't even have cucumbers nor millet)

And that's mild compared to some other credos, like the blacksmith one asking you to craft 5 gold crowns or some shit.

Not to mention all the quests locked into a season because the thing it ask you is only found in a specific one. Summer ended a day ago? Tough luck, wait a whole fucking month.

Now that's said, here's for a suggestion, more like a revamp :

- Each credos has a list of possible actions related to it (like it already have);
- On starting a credo, you got a bar that start empty, that goes from 0% to 100% / 1000% or whatever;
- Doing actions related to the credo increase that bar by some %;
- Much like the satiation system, doing an action repeatedly lessen the impact of it for some time;
- Not all actions are equals -- Some give more, some less;
- Each successive credo completed lessen all action's impact for the next one, making it longer to do.
- A problem would be : How to communicate to the player what actions can help? Maybe a short paragraph in the credo window describing a few general, possible actions.

Criticism appreciated. I likely haven't thought of everything, like possible abuse / cheesing.
kirion

Re: Please do something about credo quests

Postby MagicManICT » Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Somewhat better, I think. I'm even up for leaving the players "clueless" on what actions to take to progress the credo... and it shouldn't be simple things like picking clovers that will be used to ride horses or tame livestock. Quests should be involved, I think, but not the be all and end all of progress.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Mr_Bober » Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 pm

I like the idea per-se, but I see a lot of issues with it.

1. It would make it way easier to prepare for credos, allowing anyone to complete a whole credo in a few hours.
You could stack on items you know you need, and skip all the time-consuming steps like studying curios or bringing stuff to NPCs.

2. You could complete some credos without ever touching the main item behind it. Think Gem Hunter: you could, eventually, complete it without ever looking for gems. Just do all the other kinds of quests, ignoring gem-related stuff.
Given the "satiation-like" system you introduced, you would have to wait some time for those quests to be worth it again, but it's doable.

3. You would completely remove the difficulty in stuff like Miner or Fisherman. As long as you mine/fish different items, you should still be getting points, meaning you can almost afk those credos.

4. And this is the most annoying part: bots. It would be so easy to make a bot for credos if you had a list of actions that allowed you to complete a credo.
Mr_Bober

Postby MagicManICT » Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 am

Mr_Bober wrote:1. It would make it way easier to prepare for credos, allowing anyone to complete a whole credo in a few hours.
You could stack on items you know you need, and skip all the time-consuming steps like studying curios or bringing stuff to NPCs.

People already do this to the extent that they can. For preparation of miner and quarryman, I mark everything I find out mining. Last world, I had quarryman done in a few hours of game time (more or less) as I had 90% of the locations I needed marked. For fishing people share fishing nodes. For fisherman (which I did after miner, but should have waited till after gemhunter given how much of our area our village had marked out), I was done in about 15 or so at 40 or 50 quests, most of that travel time to or from a fishing spot or a tree. People hoard cloth in preparation to do tailor... Plus,
kirion wrote:Much like the satiation system, doing an action repeatedly lessen the impact of it for some time;

could keep people from just grinding it out with a bot in a few hours by doing the exact same thing over and over. It could even be limited to X amount of progression per hour (say 20% for your first credo--just a number out of my head!) and diminishing after that.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Mr_Bober » Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 am

MagicManICT wrote:People already do this to the extent that they can. For preparation of miner and quarryman, I mark everything I find out mining.

I know, I partially do it too, but not knowing what's coming next still makes it harder (if not impossible) to have EVERYTHING prepared.
If you knew exactly what gives you these points, and there were no time-gate quests (such as study curios), you could make it with almost every credo. Meaning after 1 month of playing, a large village could have a new character go "from 0 to 100" in no time, completing several credos in a matter of a few hours.

kirion wrote:Much like the satiation system, doing an action repeatedly lessen the impact of it for some time;

could keep people from just grinding it out with a bot in a few hours by doing the exact same thing over and over. It could even be limited to X amount of progression per hour (say 20% for your first credo--just a number out of my head!) and diminishing after that.[/quote]
Unless you go with very broad "satiation options", like "plant ANYTHING" or "mine ANYTHING", you would still be able to grind it very easily. We have something like 15 kinds of crops, and 30 (or more?) kinds of stone. If each counted as a different one (as they currently do, since they are different quests) you could grind just by taking those (and replanting in the case of crops).
I would be ok with the limited daily progress, but I doubt most people would like it. Every time something similar has been added or even just suggested, people go crazy about it.
Mr_Bober

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Wed May 27, 2020 4:04 am

Making credos hard to attain is the whole purpose of them having crazy good benefits, like Blacksmith's double-craft. I don't agree with the 'do anything' aspect because you would need to make that bar crazy tall to make sure all the no-lifers and kingdom-owners don't fill it in a day, which will inevitably punish hermits and solo players (And, you're forgetting, LUMBERJACK is a credo. You're asking for bucket forests again my friend.)

While I don't think the current implementation is the best it could be, it does however, lead to what I would call a satisfying level of work to achieve worthwhile benefits. As some chucklefuck at EA once said, it's to fill players with pride and accomplishment.
FrankMcFuzz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 27, 2020 4:25 am

you guys remember in world 10 when you could kill yourself to make credos easier. Not even trivial, just LESS cancer. You guys remember when people with 10k-20k stats killed themselves like 10 or 15 times reducing their inheritance to nothing instead of doing extra credo quests.

Jorb gave us a "haha if you don't like it, kill yourself" option, and then when he realized people would STRONGLY PREFER DEATH THAN DO MORE CREDOS he removed the ability to kill yourself to make them easier. This is literally hell and Satan won't let us commit suicide to escape.

Don't worry, though, when you finally finish getting all the credos you need to function a new world will be announced, and you can do it all over again. Your torment is eternal. Hope is a lie. Credos bad.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Ardennesss » Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:you guys remember in world 10 when you could kill yourself to make credos easier. Not even trivial, just LESS cancer. You guys remember when people with 10k-20k stats killed themselves like 10 or 15 times reducing their inheritance to nothing instead of doing extra credo quests.

Jorb gave us a "haha if you don't like it, kill yourself" option, and then when he realized people would STRONGLY PREFER DEATH THAN DO MORE CREDOS he removed the ability to kill yourself to make them easier. This is literally hell and Satan won't let us commit suicide to escape.

Don't worry, though, when you finally finish getting all the credos you need to function a new world will be announced, and you can do it all over again. Your torment is eternal. Hope is a lie. Credos bad.
Just give up, jorb is a stubborn cuck that has decided he's okay with the majority of the player base hating credos. He's made it clear he thinks they're fine - all because he completed mystic 1 time during a 2 year world. Just get good and you can RNG dice roll your entire way through a credo with nothing but easy quests, it's not that hard ¦]
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby CSPAN » Wed May 27, 2020 4:43 am

The strat is to never do a quest that requires you to study something.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby Hasta » Wed May 27, 2020 9:07 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:This is literally hell and Satan won't let us commit suicide to escape.
Don't worry, though, when you finally finish getting all the credos you need to function a new world will be announced, and you can do it all over again.

If you're so competitive you can't see yourself functioning in this game without getting most, if not all, credos, yet not hard-core enough to stop whining that attaining a lot of credos is hard - your hell is of your own making, dude.

Pick a lane. Either settle for just the right amount of credos (before they get "too hard") or stop complaining and do what you think you must do to "function".
Hasta

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas