Bow damage to go off dex

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Bow damage to go off dex

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:11 am

Wow I bet I'm not making a very popular thread here.

According to the wiki, base attributes don't seem to factor into the equation for the new ranging system.
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Hunter%27s_Bow

Make Dex increase bow damage. It's dex in every other RPG, it's dex/surv to craft arrows so, make it dex. Make crafting characters viable fighters so we can teach our tailors to hunt. Make it asymptotically increase to an upper damage limit like quality scales and knarr speeds. C'mon, do it. I'm ready for dex to be a preferable stat outside of making shirts!!

If not damage, find some other way to factor dex into it.

I'm ready.
FrankMcFuzz

Re: Bow damage to go off dex

Postby jordancoles » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:21 am

No
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:02 am

FrankMcFuzz wrote:It's dex in every other RPG,

I can name a few where it's "not dex." Some don't have dex, just agility. some have both dex and agility.

Still, only crpgs do this that I know of on a regular basis (EQ and descendants, JRPG based, etc...). Though I haven't done much PnP RPGs the last decade or so, I've stayed up with the rules on a few of them, and very few of them increase bow/archery/ranged damage unless you take perks. Games need to be balanced around this design. Right now, archery is in a terrible place in Haven. Adding things like this without balancing the rest of combat would be an utter fail... back to w8 (or was it 9?) where you could just one-shot people without trying. (There's a few camps in rpg design on using damage bonuses... used to stay up on some of the discussions back in the day. didn't pop up much, but was a fun debate at the time.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lurux » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:12 am

What about scaling accuracy with dex and reworking archery moderately?
Lurux

Postby iamahh » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:09 pm

I was enjoying archery for the 1s time since W9, but whatever mechanics this community focuses on you can expect it'll be ruined for a good year, hope we still have a couple patches before it's "adjusted"
iamahh

Postby DafyddapDafydd » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:53 pm

Yeah honestly the most fun I've ever had with archery in my decade of playing HnH is this world. Please, please don't ruin it.
Tedium is a feature.

Formerly known as DaMaGe. Been playing on and off since World 3 in 2010, but my old account no longer functions.
RIP Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:28 am - Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:02 am
DafyddapDafydd

Postby Hasta » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Archery damage already goes off Dex via proxy as you craft better arrows with higher Dex.

IMO the only stats that should affect the damage directly are STR for UA/MC and PER for ranged attacks.

But, since we have AGI that basically speeds up your hand-to-hand combat, DEX should arguably have similar effect for Ranged combat.
Hasta

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:23 am

Hasta wrote:Archery damage already goes off Dex via proxy as you craft better arrows with higher Dex.

Oh.

When you really think about it, this is 100% accurate.

Still reckon one of the base attributes should do something for ranged combat but hey; what can you do.
FrankMcFuzz

Postby ctopolon4 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:59 am

i vote for all stats were included in combat. so universal characters(all300+) shall be better than combat alts (UA MC only 0lore 0psy 0charisma 0dex)
ctopolon4

Postby Lyrroth » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 am

carpenters one shoting real warriors when
Lyrroth

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas