Animals are so strong!

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Animals are so strong!

Postby Chieves » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:03 pm

I decided to fight a fox and I was immediately beaten with a concussion and three deep cuts. Why are tiny animals that you can kill by wringing their necks so damn powerful? In real life you could just kick the fox with your foot once or twice, but in this game they're absolute killing machines. Same with bats. Feeling a bit frustrated by this
Chieves

Re: Animals are so strong!

Postby Chieves » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:04 pm

Update: Went up to a bird's nest to get some eggs or whatever and was immediately slapped unconcious by some bird! Wtf! Another concussion
Chieves

Postby Gorakil » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Yeah man , agree. Im part of big faction and still, 6 month into a world, we need to gather atleast 5-6 people to take down a fox. Im not even talking about boars which takes a week planing to take down.
Gorakil

Postby Fostik » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Accepting a PvE fights is a challenge.
You've accepted a challenge without any preparation for it.
That's pretty damn fair.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby kirion » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Raise your unarmed and melee combat to around 25. MC will be only for your shield defense, at first.
Raise your survival to 25 so that it aint destroying the quality of the fox/bat when you kill it.
Grab a bunch of squirrels and rabbits to make some leathers, then make a shield, a chest armor and a leather pant.
Set your combat stance to Shield Up, and have Punch in your action bar.
On aggroing the bat (i suggest you start with bats), de-aggro it by clicking the peace icon at the top-right.
Punch spam.
When the animal flee, quickly re-aggro it (best done through the minimap's icons).
Punch spam. You might have to redo the whole de-aggro / flee / re-aggro thing.
Savor your victory.
Get ganked by boatful of assholes passing by.
kirion

Postby Chieves » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Fostik wrote:Accepting a PvE fights is a challenge.
That's pretty damn fair.

Ah yes, suffering 2 concussions and 3 deep cuts by two cave bats is fair. Having to lvl a combat skill to lvl 25 just to beat the weakest animals in the game is fair. You sure? Is it a challenge if the animals 1/20th the weight of a human completely wreck you? No, it's just tedious and unrealistic. A flint arrow could easily pierce a boar and kill it in about 30 seconds to a minute depending on where it hit. In this game you have to have a damn catapult ready to fight a boar haha. Not good balancing imo
Chieves

Postby Clemence » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Ya, this game make you feel humble, at first, so its so good to feel powerfull in the end.

In theme park games, you start in a zone with weak animals, and as you lvl you travel to zones with more and more dangerous beasts.
here, you got the average lvl foes just around you, it can be stressfull for a new character.
Last edited by Clemence on Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clemence

Postby stya » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Chieves wrote:
Fostik wrote:Accepting a PvE fights is a challenge.
That's pretty damn fair.

Ah yes, suffering 2 concussions and 3 deep cuts by two cave bats is fair. Having to lvl a combat skill to lvl 25 just to beat the weakest animals in the game is fair. You sure? Is it a challenge if the animals 1/20th the weight of a human completely wreck you? No, it's just tedious and unrealistic. A flint arrow could easily pierce a boar and kill it in about 30 seconds to a minute depending on where it hit. In this game you have to have a damn catapult ready to fight a boar haha. Not good balancing imo

Exactly what I keep saying, I have to farm animals just to get enough leather to make catapults and hunt game is really hard ¦]
stya

Postby abt79 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Foxes, like most other creatures, offer a significant advantage in the form of their good bones, meat, and specifically the unique hat made from their hides. The developers have chosen to lock most advantages behind somewhat higher skills, relative to the advantage given, but these systems do allow you to bypass these stat ‘requirements’ using a bit of craftiness. It would be advisable to get your Unarmed Combat and Agility to about 25 or 30 to take down a fox face2face, and get about 15 of each stat to 1v1 a bat. You could also easily kill a fox right now with no combat skills at all if you were even a little bit clever since foxes cannot swim thru deep water while a dugout canoe can. Until the point where you apply a little bit of effort, either to obtain skills and equipment or to seek out game knowledge of strategies to punch above your weight class, the advantage fox and bat corpses provide will be unavailable to you.

In short, lol git gud n00b
abt79

Postby Chieves » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:44 am

abt79 wrote:Foxes, like most other creatures, offer a significant advantage in the form of their good bones, meat, and specifically the unique hat made from their hides. The developers have chosen to lock most advantages behind somewhat higher skills, relative to the advantage given, but these systems do allow you to bypass these stat ‘requirements’ using a bit of craftiness. It would be advisable to get your Unarmed Combat and Agility to about 25 or 30 to take down a fox face2face, and get about 15 of each stat to 1v1 a bat. You could also easily kill a fox right now with no combat skills at all if you were even a little bit clever since foxes cannot swim thru deep water while a dugout canoe can. Until the point where you apply a little bit of effort, either to obtain skills and equipment or to seek out game knowledge of strategies to punch above your weight class, the advantage fox and bat corpses provide will be unavailable to you.

In short, lol git gud n00b

This entire post is really bizarre when put into perspective haha. You're telling me to be clever about killing a fox with the stats of a raid boss, because the fox can knock me unconscious if I am to meet it face to face.

Instead of giving them incredibly high stats, devs could've made foxes very careful, quick and hard to catch, forcing the player to use stealth mechanics to get them in good reach for their bow, thus making it rewarding to have finally killed a fox, much like hunting in real life, where you have to sit on the same spot for days waiting for the perfect shot.

This post is a critique, so explaining it away with ingame mechanics I am critiquing doesn't make much sense to me. Point stands: Realistically foxes and bats prey on insects and smaller animals. Them having the power to seriously hurt a human(without the use of disease) makes 0 sense, and since this game is quite heavily based on real-life survival mixed with mythology, having animals this powerful is very daunting
Chieves

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas