Animals are so strong!

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Animals are so strong!

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:11 am

Oh boy, another "I played for two days now listen to my ideas" episode.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby MadNomad » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:48 am

do not attack birds with just a few shp and you can just go at them to scare them away after you begin raiding the nest

do not attack foxes and badgers if you do not have 5 ua yet and use a cliff or some other mean of successfully blocking them

if you listen to these advices roughly 90% of your problems are going to be gone

the stats of a fox are actually very low but they are higher than 1 ua and 10 agi
MadNomad

Postby AtoB » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:Oh boy, another "I played for two days now listen to my ideas" episode.

I play this for over 10 years now and have to admit that he makes a very good point.

We're just so used to cheesing the shit out of this game that we no longer notice all the broken things...
AtoB

Postby Clemence » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:20 pm

Perhaps we need a transitional animal, like if squerels need a fight but they just die in 2 lvl 1 punch, and just give a little scare now and there ?
Clemence

Postby Glorthan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:17 pm

Clemence wrote:Perhaps we need a transitional animal, like if squerels need a fight but they just die in 2 lvl 1 punch, and just give a little scare now and there ?

Ants?

Also you can kill foxes and bats with a bow and no stats really easily, even without cheesing.
Glorthan

Postby abt79 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Chieves wrote:This entire post is really bizarre when put into perspective haha. You're telling me to be clever about killing a fox with the stats of a raid boss, because the fox can knock me unconscious if I am to meet it face to face.

Instead of giving them incredibly high stats, devs could've made foxes very careful, quick and hard to catch, forcing the player to use stealth mechanics to get them in good reach for their bow, thus making it rewarding to have finally killed a fox, much like hunting in real life, where you have to sit on the same spot for days waiting for the perfect shot.

This post is a critique, so explaining it away with ingame mechanics I am critiquing doesn't make much sense to me. Point stands: Realistically foxes and bats prey on insects and smaller animals. Them having the power to seriously hurt a human(without the use of disease) makes 0 sense, and since this game is quite heavily based on real-life survival mixed with mythology, having animals this powerful is very daunting

“Stats of a raid boss” LMAO foxes have *very* low stats, i had better agi and ua on like day 2 of this world. Go punch a fox irl and see how entirely harmless they are. You absolutely can kill a fox with a bow with base stats anyways, you’re just too much of a noob to figure out how. Foxes also aren’t aggressive, so you don’t even have to interact with them if you’re too much of a scrub to not get bodied by them.

play the game for more than one day and gain a smidge of perspective before you suggest an overhaul to make this game easy to pander to you. Until then, I hear minecraft went on sale and you can pretty easily live out your fox-killing ambitions there. Your critique is awful because all of haven and hearth is designed to be this difficult and you only pointing out this one problem you have with it shows how little you understand about the game as a whole. Even if the devs ‘fixed’ this according to your suggestions, you’d be back wanting them to fix literally every other game mechanic as you interacted with them.
Last edited by abt79 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
abt79

Postby Chieves » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:52 pm

You're all right. I'm a total noob that only played for 2 days, thus I am probably the only one here that doesn't know how to cheese the game, and probably the only one here in the thread experiencing the early game for the first time. Having to go to the forums to get an explanation for how to kill a fox is quite insane, and throughout the thread the stat-requirements to kill one magically decreased too, as if I'm in the right. Foxes that aren't rabid have no business attacking a human. Perhaps a certain someone should just sit down and think instead of gatekeeping their precious game and insulting me
Chieves

Postby Kuddie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Chieves wrote:You're all right. I'm a total noob that only played for 2 days, thus I am probably the only one here that doesn't know how to cheese the game, and probably the only one here in the thread experiencing the early game for the first time. Having to go to the forums to get an explanation for how to kill a fox is quite insane, and throughout the thread the stat-requirements to kill one magically decreased too, as if I'm in the right. Foxes that aren't rabid have no business attacking a human. Perhaps a certain someone should just sit down and think instead of gatekeeping their precious game and insulting me

It's really not that hard like you make it out to be.
You never had to come to the forums for an explanation on how to kill one. You could have figured that out on your own like the rest of us had to do, but since you came here looking for one here you go.

Make a bow and quiver, fill the quiver with arrows and then find a fox.
Take your shot with the bow from as far away as you can, and then as the fox starts running towards you just keep firing arrows on it and it will go down easily.
Kuddie

Postby abt79 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Oh and to be clear, foxes aren’t aggressive, so it didn’t attack anyone. You chose to attack it, without any apparent insight into how the encounter might go besides what, all the times you’ve 1v1ed foxes IRL?

We’re not really even gatekeeping, I don’t care if noobs choose to play hnh and I’d be happy to help you learn. The problem arises when the first little challenge in a much more challenging game gets you so butthurt you feel the need to fundamentally change that single encounter so it won’t make you feel bad. “Muh realism” excuse doesn’t really work in a game with Cave Trolls and magic everburning dream-fires, and your noob rage will never convince the devs to baby you.

Stop leaping then complaining that you shouldn’t have had to look first.
abt79

Postby Chieves » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:38 pm

abt79 wrote:Oh and to be clear, foxes aren’t aggressive, so it didn’t attack anyone. You chose to attack it, without any apparent insight into how the encounter might go besides what, all the times you’ve 1v1ed foxes IRL?

We’re not really even gatekeeping, I don’t care if noobs choose to play hnh and I’d be happy to help you learn. The problem arises when the first little challenge in a much more challenging game gets you so butthurt you feel the need to fundamentally change that single encounter so it won’t make you feel bad. “Muh realism” excuse doesn’t really work in a game with Cave Trolls and magic everburning dream-fires, and your noob rage will never convince the devs to baby you.

Stop leaping then complaining that you shouldn’t have had to look first.

I do think the realism excuse is viable, since the game has obvious correlations to reality, such as stamina, animals found in the real world, drowning and swimming, having to tilt the ground before making a farm, etc.

I didn't realise that making the foxes and bats a bit would ruin the game for some people apparently. Well, guess I'll git gud and stop being such a "butthurt, raging noob"
Chieves

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas