Animals are so strong!

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Animals are so strong!

Postby Chieves » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 pm

Apocoreo wrote:What this does indicate is that it is not intuitive for new players to have to have foxes, a weak animal in real life, too tough for a beginner. Yeah its a minor setback, but the frustration can result in people who would otherwise git gid quit, losing this game money and potential dev progress.

Theres no clear guide to what creatures you can fight at what level, and I don't think there should be. New players should know to avoid ants, which fight in groups but can be outrun. Bats are shit in many ways, but they make caves scary for new players and according to Jorb that is their purpose so fine.

There is no creature you can fight, that fights back, that you can beat at 1au/mc and no armor. There ia no introduction to the combat system. So hear me out.

Foxes are the perfect candidate for this, they are small irl, leading new players to believe them weak. They are red and larger than animals that just run, very visible. They do not aggro, another sign of weakness. so nerf foxes and their hats, add a new animal at their current strength. Or do the opposite, in which case I nominate the ignoble raccoon for the role, with a new cosmetic hat called a "Coon Cap"

Finally, top it off by adding a final objective to Ways of the Wild: Defeat a Raccoon/Fox.

Boom. More players, more money.

You pretty much described my though-process when I saw foxes/bats. Since they can't hurt humans seriously in real life I thought I'd have and easy time just stomping one to death and it was quite frustrating. Luckily, I can get 10x better loot by just fishing.

I have a fox hat without ever winning a fight against a fox lol
Chieves

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 pm

Chieves wrote:I have a fox hat without ever winning a fight against a fox lol

indeed, same with another new player I introduced to the game. Badgers regularily kill foxes, so there should be no need to nerf the hat if the fox is nerfed. It would only be marginally easier to obtain.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Necrisha » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Right, because a two day old baby can punch a fox...

Look at it this way- while there are certain programing limits that prevent the developer from generating you as a toddler in game- the first week you are at the given strength and skill level of a toddler. Think a two year old can kill a fox by just punching it?
Necrisha

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Necrisha wrote:Right, because a two day old baby can punch a fox...

Look at it this way- while there are certain programing limits that prevent the developer from generating you as a toddler in game- the first week you are at the given strength and skill level of a toddler. Think a two year old can kill a fox by just punching it?

Can a two year old chop down a tree? This is a dangerous rabbit hole to jump down. It is not, once again, intuitive to a new player to see an adult character and assume the strength of a baby rather than a weak adult.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby friendlinzh » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:59 pm

yea those animals are too strong to kill.

i need find some good method to kill them
friendlinzh

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:48 pm

git gud
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas