Rocking Chair and Travel Weariness

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Rocking Chair and Travel Weariness

Postby agnias » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:55 pm

It should slightly reduce travel weariness like sleeping in a bed or even better boost the speed of recovery from smoking the pipe. So in order to get the full effect you'd have to smoke while chilling on it.

Quality of the chair could affect the recovery boost.
agnias

Re: Rocking Chair and Travel Weariness

Postby Chieves » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:05 pm

Sounds like a cool idea, but making waiting afk in a chair a mechanic of the game is a flaw. If in the chair, how long would it take to recover to not halt the progress you could do in the game if you weren't resting? Maybe you could knit or do some other calm task while in the chair? It could be a nifty mechanic if thought out more
Chieves

Postby IngloriouslyBad » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:02 pm

I like it. Chillin in the chair and smoking your pipe. Maybe doing some crafting. Enjoying the little things in a hearthlings life. All helps wash away the weariness of a days travel.
IngloriouslyBad

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:10 pm

You can smoke from hookah + pipe at the same time, and they do work simultaneously.
Probably some other mechanic added to the rocking chair would be better, since you can also sleep in a bed to recover travel weariness.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:33 am

Nightdawg wrote:You can smoke from hookah + pipe at the same time, and they do work simultaneously.
Probably some other mechanic added to the rocking chair would be better, since you can also sleep in a bed to recover travel weariness.

Maybe add smoking in bed to help speed recovery of travel weariness? ¦] (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

agnias wrote:It should slightly reduce travel weariness like sleeping in a bed or even better boost the speed of recovery from smoking the pipe. So in order to get the full effect you'd have to smoke while chilling on it.

bonus points if we can rock, smoke a pipe, and a hookah all at once.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Noid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am

Nightdawg wrote:You can smoke from hookah + pipe at the same time, and they do work simultaneously.

That's a fun one.

So are you saying that implementing a mechanic that not only simulate perfectly real life but also fits nicely with the game style would be a bad a idea because you can currently exploit a game bug letting you smoke from two devices simultaneously?

:D
Noid

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:49 pm

Noid wrote:So are you saying that implementing a mechanic that not only simulate perfectly real life but also fits nicely with the game style would be a bad a idea because you can currently exploit a game bug letting you smoke from two devices simultaneously?

I only suggested that perhaps it could help with something else rather than adding a 5th mechanic to reducing travel weariness. Also smoking from a hookah and pipe at the same time is not an exploit, I can confirm you can do that in real life too, without breaking the laws of physics :roll:

And I literally said it's just faster to go to sleep in a bed rather than sitting in a chair at presumably lower TW recovery rate.

Also this:
Chieves wrote:Sounds like a cool idea, but making waiting afk in a chair a mechanic of the game is a flaw.
Nightdawg

Postby Noid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:34 pm

Obviously rocking chair + smoke together should be quicker than sleeping. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

At the same time I don't see how that's a flaw, there are so many mechanics in the game that just require you to wait. In this case the fact that you let your character swing on the chair and smoke for a bit while you could actually relax and do something else irl seems such a neat combination. As much it is going to sleep to boost wounds recovering.

Also I have my serious doubts smoking from an hookah and a pipe simultaneously can achieve anything else than severe lung poisoning. Figure recovering from travel fatigue...

But for the sake of the science you can attach a video of you doing it. Looking forward to it ;)
Noid

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:55 pm

Noid wrote:Obviously rocking chair + smoke together should be quicker than sleeping. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

Smoking from a pipe alone is quicker than sleeping. I wouldn't mind being able to sit in a rocking chair + use the hookah AND pipe, at the same time.
We already have to sit in one place when smooking from a hookah anyway, so this would be an ok addition to it I guess?

I only suggested that maybe the rocking chair could help with something else, other than this mechanic which seems already good enough. Also the chair aloneshould not recover travel weariness, that was my point.

Noid wrote:Also I have my serious doubts smoking from an hookah and a pipe simultaneously can achieve anything else than severe lung poisoning. Figure recovering from travel fatigue...

Although in real life you can decide the amount you want to inhale and how fast/often you do it (not depending on how many sources you have), in game you can't.

In reality, smoking tobacco doesn't actually recover your *travel weariness*, or muscle sore or whatever, all it does is damage your lungs (depending on how much you inhale, at what rate, etc.).
In game, we can *speed up* the inhaling speed by using a hookah and a pipe at the same time. It only speeds up the rate at which your travel weariness decreases and your pipe wheeze wound increases, just like you'd be able to inhale more, faster (crazy, isn't it?).

No need for you to get so butthurt over it tbh, it only reduces the time it takes to sit on your ass doing nothing and waiting for the travel weariness to go down. The wound increases proportionally to how much you smoke, you're not gaining any advantage by doing this. You consume more pipeweed, in less time, for more/faster TW reduction and more/faster increasing of the wound.
Nightdawg

Postby Noid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm

The proposition here is to make rocking chair AND pipe to work in combination, so that one (the rocking chair) boost the other (smoking the pipe).

This proposition doesn't include the use of a hooka which in my opinion shouldn't be allowed to be used if you're already smoking from another source.

Regarding the IRL situation, smoking tobacco surely doesn't heal your wounds and in general provides lung damage but it does certainly help relaxing (ask the smokers) often during or after a trip when you feel stressed.

But I've rarely seen anyone sticking a pipe and hookah in the mouth at the same time to achieve any form of relaxation. Maybe you could do that stuffing weed in both to get quickly high as fuck but that's not what I'm talking about.
Noid

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas