Balancing Nidbanes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:32 pm

The weak should fear the strong
DDDsDD999

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:36 pm

Pretty sure a lot of the bad mechanics in haven can be attributed to experienced deciding they'd rather die than explain to another retard why their idea is retarded in detail. Jorb sees that nobody is calling the idea retarded, then assumes based on that it's maybe not a bad idea.

Kinda wish we could have a nazi mod that'd just insta hel all of the obviously horrible C&I suggestions
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:59 pm

I was going to say that this could work if you'd restrict Nidbanes only to Battery and Murder scents, but then "experienced players" would just make bunch of expendable rage alts for their spruce cap hunting.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Headchef » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:34 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Pretty sure a lot of the bad mechanics in haven can be attributed to experienced deciding they'd rather die than explain to another retard why their idea is retarded in detail. Jorb sees that nobody is calling the idea retarded, then assumes based on that it's maybe not a bad idea.

Kinda wish we could have a nazi mod that'd just insta hel all of the obviously horrible C&I suggestions

This.
Headchef

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 pm

remove nidbanes and turn them in to turret like beings that defend your base for the hermits. sending them is gay but the idea that they protect solo players could work. needs balancing so big bois cant abuse the shit out of it.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Zyean » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:55 am

Procne wrote:It's common knowledge that currently Nidbanes are useless, since they are so easy to dispose of. At the same time we don't want a situation where they are too powerful and a lackluster way to kill an enemy.
In my opinion large part of the issue comes from the fact that they can be fought, as PVE combat in haven can be easily cheesed. So I would propose the following:

1. Nidbanes cannot be fought

Although if the target left a lot of scents, and his enemies were dedicated Nidbane summoners then he wouldn't have much chance.

So there's a couple game design flaws with your idea, and nidbanes in general

1. This idea lacks counterplay, you're saying that if they have enough ghosts on them, there's 0 counterplay, nothing they can do, dead.
This could be fixed to maybe a more desirable result by you in saying they are always able to be outran but it's annoying cus you have to be running for 30-60 minutes before they poof, deterring random hermit crime

2. Nidbanes are uninteractive, but mainly for the summoner, once you send one off, there's nothing to do, you just hope for the best
Maybe you can have the nidbane player controlled, and scale somewhat off the summoners stats this would add interaction between the player and the summoner, as well as prevent alt nidbane spamming, and prevent standard animal cheese

They also maybe shouldn't kill, I don't think that nidbanes should be more dangerous than a player, they can maybe have some annoying effect on their wounds, but I don't think they should kill (unless of course they're already low HHP).
Zyean

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:16 am

Hasta wrote:Ofcourse, I'm making all this up as I write it, so the actual changes, on the off-chance they are considered, would take a lot more thought and balancing. But I believe the 3 core principles should be the aforementioned - personalized, dangerous to their target and quite literally poking one of your eyes out when summoned Nidbanes.

This impromptu post is actually a better thought on the matter than anything else I've seen. it's far from perfect, but a good place to start.

The other post above about scents tracking more information should probably have some weight, too. Breaking a dugout isn't equal to breaking a cheap snekkja or a q200 kiln.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:17 am

Headchef wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Pretty sure a lot of the bad mechanics in haven can be attributed to experienced deciding they'd rather die than explain to another retard why their idea is retarded in detail. Jorb sees that nobody is calling the idea retarded, then assumes based on that it's maybe not a bad idea.

This.

Granted.

Been telling you guys that if you don't like an idea, fine, discuss the bad points from a logical standpoint, and don't just shit up the forums.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:29 am

I think I've seen a better thread on this subject

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=67061

I unironically liked some of these. Non combat nidbanes that can make wanton murder a minor hassle, but not kill a warrior. Maybe nidbanes could spawn if you leave a certain number of scents, much more frequent for violent crimes, rather than being summoned by players? Significant RNG would prevent cheese/counting your scents.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Lyrroth » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:12 pm

just turn nidbane into cosmetic pet that follows you around that you can create with scents. its power should be irrevelant and quality of cuffs and type of scent should define for how long it will follow you. it is lost upon ko. give trollex his cosmetic suits as well.
Lyrroth

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas