Balancing Nidbanes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby Kearn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 pm

it should just be impossible for anyone else other than the target to engage a nidbane and the nominal (uncapped) stats of nidbanes should live-update with the target's stats. done ez nidbanes work again
User avatar
Kearn
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:09 am

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby friendlinzh » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:38 am

the strong dominate the weak is a terrible idea in a videogame.not every one want to be a fighter
friendlinzh
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:52 pm

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby Headchef » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 am

Kearn wrote:it should just be impossible for anyone else other than the target to engage a nidbane and the nominal (uncapped) stats of nidbanes should live-update with the target's stats. done ez nidbanes work again


if you think this then you don't know how they currently work

friendlinzh wrote:the strong dominate the weak is a terrible idea in a videogame.not every one want to be a fighter


it's very easy to live a life without trouble in haven, big groups have no interest in you unless you anger them somehow and even then this game lack of siege will make it so they most likely don't even bother unless if you leave walls scented.
User avatar
Headchef
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:51 pm

friendlinzh wrote:the strong dominate the weak is a terrible idea in a videogame.not every one want to be a fighter


sadly it's hard to implement balance because a lot of the most frequent posters and loudest critics of incoming ideas and content are parts of the dominate factions and have an agenda to keep it this way
Image

Felix keep game alive
-Tarnum


Image
User avatar
Zentetsuken
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Headchef wrote:
Kearn wrote:it should just be impossible for anyone else other than the target to engage a nidbane and the nominal (uncapped) stats of nidbanes should live-update with the target's stats. done ez nidbanes work again


if you think this then you don't know how they currently work

Maybe enlighten the person that you clearly have a much greater knowledge of "how they currently work." I'm not going to say everyone that has posted in this thread has an in depth knowledge of the game mechanics and meta surrounding it, but you can hardly draw this conclusion from the post that they don't know what they're talking about. They want an ideal. That ideal is a pipe dream, I think, but maybe it's something to work towards. (It'll never work because there will always be some uberpro out there that thinks they need to abuse every mechanic in every way they can find, and game devs have better things to do than fix every edge case.)
K'thulu for President 2020!! Why vote for the lesser evil?

Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
User avatar
MagicManICT
 
Posts: 17412
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 am

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:02 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Headchef wrote:
Kearn wrote:it should just be impossible for anyone else other than the target to engage a nidbane and the nominal (uncapped) stats of nidbanes should live-update with the target's stats. done ez nidbanes work again


if you think this then you don't know how they currently work

Maybe enlighten the person that you clearly have a much greater knowledge of "how they currently work." I'm not going to say everyone that has posted in this thread has an in depth knowledge of the game mechanics and meta surrounding it, but you can hardly draw this conclusion from the post that they don't know what they're talking about. They want an ideal. That ideal is a pipe dream, I think, but maybe it's something to work towards. (It'll never work because there will always be some uberpro out there that thinks they need to abuse every mechanic in every way they can find, and game devs have better things to do than fix every edge case.)


"haha my 10seconds of effort should be able to down and kill a someones character that they spent a lot of time in to"
Jorb: Go rub sticks, sprucecap.
Image
#GerdgenDidNothingWrong
User avatar
wonder-ass
 
Posts: 1787
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 am

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby Headchef » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:27 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Headchef wrote:
Kearn wrote:it should just be impossible for anyone else other than the target to engage a nidbane and the nominal (uncapped) stats of nidbanes should live-update with the target's stats. done ez nidbanes work again


if you think this then you don't know how they currently work

you can hardly draw this conclusion from the post that they don't know what they're talking about


well this is where you are wrong because even without questioning their change would be implemented it would change nothing about the uselessness of nidbanes.

and I am not trying to defend some group having an upper hand on something I am just defending a more logical approach to changing game dynamics rather than making a mess under the guise of a feeling about what is right or just towards some people.

I could explain why it would be wrong too but I do not believe people who lack the core understanding are capable of seeing the bigger picture after why I explain this point would not work.

The response will just be a slightly adjusted version and the main motivation behind it would be that things ''feel unfair'' or something along those lines. If someone has a good idea I'm all for it but try to think it through and try to immediately think about how it could be abused.

Most ideas about making nidbanes overpowered will just result in shifting the meta from actual fights using the combat system towards provoking criminal acts of your enemy and then using the nidbane system to rape them back.

And now another guy would join the conversation stating how it could be dependant on stats or some nonsense but it's completely irrelevant you can just bait it on low stat character to pretend to be a new player.

It's just a form of giving new players a form of protection but then in the appearance of a ghost.
Atleast jorb knows that stuff does not end well.
User avatar
Headchef
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:44 am

Headchef wrote:well this is where you are wrong because even without questioning their change would be implemented it would change nothing about the uselessness of nidbanes.

I'm not saying it would change anything, either. Just don't be a complete dick about wanting to keep your information to yourself. If you know something and don't want to share, then don't share... or at least don't be an ass about it. Maybe share your insight with the devs privately if you're worried about your grand strategies getting out... but then that might show the flaws in the system more directly causing a real and practical fix to the problem rather than all this theorizing.
K'thulu for President 2020!! Why vote for the lesser evil?

Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
User avatar
MagicManICT
 
Posts: 17412
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 am

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby Headchef » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:56 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Headchef wrote:well this is where you are wrong because even without questioning their change would be implemented it would change nothing about the uselessness of nidbanes.

I'm not saying it would change anything, either. Just don't be a complete dick about wanting to keep your information to yourself. If you know something and don't want to share, then don't share... or at least don't be an ass about it. Maybe share your insight with the devs privately if you're worried about your grand strategies getting out... but then that might show the flaws in the system more directly causing a real and practical fix to the problem rather than all this theorizing.


Did you even read the rest? Understand the reasoning? Zero comment on that just this nonsense about posting information or not :roll:

There is no real and practical fix in front of our eyes due to the nature of nidbanes being equal to noob protection which even Jorb himself has explained is flawed to begin with.

Anyone who has a good new idea should post it but expanding upon or pointing flaws out in current system is rather pointless.
User avatar
Headchef
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Balancing Nidbanes

Postby eewww » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:11 am

I have a question. Wiki says: "As of the "Bench Crab" update dated January 26, 2017, character-specific scents from characters that do not have Rage cannot be used to summon a Nidbane. This is an attempt to fix nidbane spam between various PvP factions to stop players from throwing unskilled alts out to be killed by the other side just to get more murder scents."

As i can see from skill tree it is possible to have Theft skill without Rage skill. So i dont understand - scent of Theft from a char without Rage can be used to summon a Nidbane or not?
eewww
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest