QoL ideas

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

QoL ideas

Postby Leny » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:52 pm

I've put together a list of a "few" ideas that came to my mind by just walking around the village today. I actually wanted to bump the "Empty" button for troughs but seeing it has been ignored for so long I felt like putting down more ideas that won't be implemented anytime soon.

- "Empty" button for troughs (5 year old request) viewtopic.php?f=48&t=42946
- bigger cauldrons, troughs and other containers
- mass storage for meat/fat/rendered fat/butter/spices and other cooking related things
- being able to upgrade/rebuild objects to avoid having to bash everything you want to upgrade in quality (beehives, anvils, cauldrons, loom, rope walk, ...)
- horses not walking away immediately after you get off them
- "replant" flower menu for trellis crops that need to be destroyed before planting them again
- PvE combat with the ability to slow down, bleed and track the animal
- let us aggro animals through the trees, the way you need to run around with a character that can get stuck on anything thanks to no pathfinding just to hit the sweet spot between blocking objects to re-aggro the fast running moose seems obsolete and could be removed
- stockpiles for anything mass produced, especialy large things like straw dolls, onion braids
- increase stockpile sizes like hemp fibres from 45 to 100, would that break the game? (not for me! :) )
- what if troughs had bigger bounding box so you can use them as part of the animal pen?
- empty players inventory into a trough button/feature, having to put everything in one by one just doesn't seem right even if you're using custom client features for it
- use shovel to empty tar kilns faster straight into a wheelbarrow?
- pathfind between crops when farming a field to avoid obstacles like beehives and troughs, default client can mark an area to farm it, right?, most custom clients have access to pathfinding though
- allow us to paint animals - mark for slaugher, best quality, whatever, even a massive dot from the specific color on the animal skin would be nice thing to have
- allow us to tie carts to ourselves with ropes and such so we don't have to deal with them getting stuck everywhere
- stockpiles for logs?
- mark hitching posts that are being used - show the rope or at least change the Gob stage so it's easy to determine which ones are used, maybe graphically remove the rope from the hitching post when animal is hitched to it?
- don't let animals wander so far from hitching posts
- allow us to put a hammer onto the anvil by right clicking it with it
- increase the limit on survey land and allow us to extend, 30x30 is close to the current limit, right?, maybe 100 x 100 or the village size could be the new limit? is it a performance problem?
- add something like a broom to get rid of the snow without digging up the soil underneath it
- snow should not appear around heat sources (braziers, fires) or underneath objects
- limit how much tame animals move on their own, I know I'm feeding them poppies so they might be having the best days of their lives but still, they tend to ping-pong around the pen a lot
- add animal boxes/pens that can keep animals mostly still (like boxes for horses) so it's easier to handle them
- differentiate animals that can be milked? probably too wild of an idea like saddles for cows and pigs
- scythe should double as a weapon, not even the B12 looks as bad ass as the scythe, especialy when worn by a mounted character
- prevent the character from getting stuck on bounding boxes so easily (you might be working on that with your village idol test)
- allow us to mark trees with paint (either for directions or to mark them for cutting/quality etc)
- bags for bars/stones/snacks to make mining less of a "mine, go back for supplies, mine, go back for supplies" thing
- minecarts and railway systems (couldn't resist, sorry :) )
- mass storage/stockpiles for cooked items or even cheese
- character model could use more love, male looks like an abortion gone wrong (no offense, I know you're not a gfx designer)
- fishing and the speed at which you're losing gear is ridiculous (always been), maybe add more expensive fishing gear for mid/late game?, oh, maybe make fishing more relevant for late game?
- drying frames could hold more than just 4 slots worth of items, that's like two carps on a two tile sized object, could use an update or a bigger variant
- make fishing more successful/easier in winter
- make autumn and spring relevant, the only reason why I'm not mentioning winter is the sled - a single thing I like about the seasons, cheap and can move super fast on ice, makes no sense but I love it, thanks
- seasons should be re-visited, most people I've talked to hate them, dislike them or find them annoying thanks to the limitations posed by them and the weird credo system that isn't working well with them or even with the current map
- is towing whales into the correct butchering spot still harder than actually killing them?
- putting things like coal into smelters could be done in batches - same interface like taking from stockpiles but it works the other way around - inserts x amount of items from the inventory to the smelter?

Some of these ideas might be a little bit on the wild side or just plain stupid but most of them can be put into the "mass" and "QoL" category which is a direction that Haven definitely took. I'd love to see more of it. Way more :)

Sorry for my English, I'd offer a potato for the long post but... we can't and won't (most likely) be able to grow those. Good luck in the current world everyone!
Everytime I find something that doesn't make sense I can almost see Jorb grinning and mumbling to himself: "working as intended."
Leny

Re: QoL ideas

Postby vatas » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:09 pm

- drying frames could hold more than just 4 slots worth of items, that's like two carps on a two tile sized object, could use an update or a bigger variant

I would make it so that they're 3x3 by default and bears and like give single 3x3 hide and not two separate ones which just feels stupid.
- is towing whales into the correct butchering spot still harder than actually killing them?

AFAIK the hard part is the fact that you need a horse, which you can't transport in the Knarr, for the final pull to the land. Therefore you need to tow the whale to a continent where you can somehow get horse.
- prevent the character from getting stuck on bounding boxes so easily (you might be working on that with your village idol test)

I think loftar posted about how he was considering changing the shape of player hitbox to diagonal square which should at least theoretically clip into things less.
- allow us to put a hammer onto the anvil by right clicking it with it

YES
- increase the limit on survey land and allow us to extend, 30x30 is close to the current limit, right?, maybe 100 x 100 or the village size could be the new limit? is it a performance problem?

I too would like to hear dev response to this.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: QoL ideas

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Jorb has asked to avoid grab bag posts. It's a good list, but if anyone wishes to discuss any points, cut and paste it to another thread. Thanks!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Critique & Ideas