Wintertime blues

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Wintertime blues

Postby Lurux » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:41 am

Feels like the player count after winter has dropped again? I see a lot of abandoned villages near my place.
Questioning if winter and spring shouldn't be made more appealing to people and give them a reason to keep on playing during those seasons as well?
Last edited by MagicManICT on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from another thread; updated title to reflect the discussion
Lurux

Re: Haven Population / Uptime Tracker

Postby Gorakil » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm

The problem with winter - it lacks content. There are literally nothing to do in winter. CAn be fixed by winter exclusive dungeons\crops\ animals\ etc, but we need to w8 until yorb would care about this exact topic.
Gorakil

Postby CSPAN » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 am

Winter really is a window for folks to quit. At this point in the game, those that are left from world start are basically raising the quality of bone kilns and using imagination for content. If winter is your first impression of Haven you'll likely never play again. So there is this window where tired players can quit and, within that same window, where new players get an awful first impression. What if the map was "hemisphere'd" and new players only spawned within the part of the world where it was spring or summer?
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby pawnchito » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 am

CSPAN wrote:Winter really is a window for folks to quit. At this point in the game, those that are left from world start are basically raising the quality of bone kilns and using imagination for content. If winter is your first impression of Haven you'll likely never play again. So there is this window where tired players can quit and, within that same window, where new players get an awful first impression. What if the map was "hemisphere'd" and new players only spawned within the part of the world where it was spring or summer?

if snow was "hemisphered" everyone would be "forced" to have 2 bases to keep spiraling crops.
pawnchito

Postby CSPAN » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:28 am

There should be remarkably little incentive to be that desperate with crop quality. Crops should probably take longer to grow in any case.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Re: Wintertime blues

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:43 am

This was split from viewtopic.php?f=49&t=41293. I know it started with a discussion on a drop in player count, but with the direction of the replies, it should probably be here. (Thanks for letting us know it was out of place.)

If anyone has a better title, feel free to let me know.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:13 am

Thats what happens when you literally stop updating the game for a month.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby synntax33 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:37 pm

shubla wrote:Thats what happens when you literally stop updating the game for a month.

Omfg no game should require constant updates. Sure, winter sucks, and needs a bit of reworking, but at least it's there.
synntax33

Postby AHONEN » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:44 pm

CSPAN wrote:new players only spawned within the part of the world where it was spring or summer?

spring is also an awful season to spawn..
AHONEN

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:21 pm

synntax33 wrote:
shubla wrote:Thats what happens when you literally stop updating the game for a month.

Omfg no game should require constant updates. Sure, winter sucks, and needs a bit of reworking, but at least it's there.

People here have gotten used to small weekly updates rather than what you see in other large games of a moderate to large sized update once a month or even every 3 or 6. Personally, I'd be fine with a weekly status update and just to let us know what bugs have been fixed, and additions coming once a month or so several at a time so there's a few things to explore in a go.

As far as winter, yeah, sure, it's there. It removes over half the game with little to replace it. As a "full time miner" it doesn't bother me too much... right up until the food runs out.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas