Wintertime blues

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Wintertime blues

Postby Lurux » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:10 am

MagicManICT wrote:This was split from https://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vi ... 49&t=41293. I know it started with a discussion on a drop in player count, but with the direction of the replies, it should probably be here. (Thanks for letting us know it was out of place.)

If anyone has a better title, feel free to let me know.

Ah, this explains why i suddenly saw a thread posted by me, without posting it myself :D
In any case what i wanted to mention: should we compile all the winter ideas in one? There is another one with the freezing in winter where i ve put some content ideas, there is also others popping up recently, shall we just call it “wintertime blues: post your content ideas here” or something ?
Cheers !
Lurux

Postby shubla » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:14 am

MagicManICT wrote:nce a month or even every 3 or 6. Personally, I'd be fine with a weekly status update and just to let us know what bugs have been fixed, and additions coming once a month or so several at a time so there's a few things to explore in a go.

As far as winter, yeah, sure, it's there. It removes over half the game with little to replace it. As a "full time miner" it doesn't bother me too much... right up until the food runs out.

Sometimes devs could tell what they are planning and ask for player opinion. There are numerous times when they do "something big" that no one even asked for 3 weeks, then they publish it and turns out that it sucks, because its either just a bad mechanic or then its useless. (Smoking meats, curio-wear... etc)
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:07 pm

shubla wrote:Sometimes devs could tell what they are planning and ask for player opinion.

Why would they do something stupid like? This community is filled with people who are so bored and obsessed with trolling that they post 100s of terrible ideas on purpose until they get banned and curfewed in a repeating cycle over and over again and give purposefully critical opinions on good content just to be edgy and annoying.

It's players like this that ruin the game for everybody and make feedback meaningless.
Zentetsuken

Postby iamahh » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:14 pm

population drop is part of the game, even before seasons, it's not exactly Fortnite here, so worrying about population is a sign of not understanding the game

winter is great for devote players who need a little incentive to take a break

even so if you have a semi decent base you can play all day in winter, mining, hunting, questing, exploring in a sled, building & upgrading, etc

if noobs are having a hard time in winter it's because they cannot handle the game, let them drown and be ran over by boars, then they'll learn the game
iamahh

Postby synntax33 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:03 pm

MagicManICT wrote:People here have gotten used to small weekly updates rather than what you see in other large games of a moderate to large sized update once a month or even every 3 or 6. Personally, I'd be fine with a weekly status update and just to let us know what bugs have been fixed, and additions coming once a month or so several at a time so there's a few things to explore in a go.

As far as winter, yeah, sure, it's there. It removes over half the game with little to replace it. As a "full time miner" it doesn't bother me too much... right up until the food runs out.

Sure, but the game doesn't need new content to be playable. And a solid fix for something like winter/spring isn't done in a week. Shublas right, about having at the least an update on direction, but also in times like these there is alot on everyone's plate, tbh. But in the end, it's their game, and they know their own capabilities, so there isn't alot of room for argument with them on the "vision". Legacy Haven didn't have a quarter of what we have now, ya know. Lol not an argument, just trying to be more "explanatory" than "inflammatory" :D
synntax33

Re: Haven Population / Uptime Tracker

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm

AHONEN wrote:
CSPAN wrote:new players only spawned within the part of the world where it was spring or summer?

spring is also an awful season to spawn..

No game perhaps but us fools are over here playing an "Eternal Alpha". Jorb and Loftar want leeway to make sweeping changes, potentially unbalancing things. I'm paraphrasing but they've essentially said as much. Weekly updates are reassuring that anything fucked up doesn't stay fucked.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby CSPAN » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:51 am

iamahh wrote:posturing

Player population is rather important for any game ever. No one is saying population must stay at a certain level. Player retentiveness is definitely better this world than previous worlds, but drops at specific points in time can point to a particular reason for that. And the whole "Noobs just need to get fucked" argument is so teenage angst-y. New players are what breathe life into a game and its economy. If you start a game and have an awful first impression you probably won't play. Map needs to be spherical with rotating seasons where new players can join wherever they can get the best first impression,that being Summer.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby Lurux » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:14 am

iamahh wrote:population drop is part of the game, even before seasons, it's not exactly Fortnite here, so worrying about population is a sign of not understanding the game

winter is great for devote players who need a little incentive to take a break

even so if you have a semi decent base you can play all day in winter, mining, hunting, questing, exploring in a sled, building & upgrading, etc

if noobs are having a hard time in winter it's because they cannot handle the game, let them drown and be ran over by boars, then they'll learn the game

Let them drown and run over by boars and in 2 years from now you will only have 50 players left. Sure you will be happy in that kind of world? Gone will be the economic aspect. We are trying to improve the situation in winter for the playerbase in order to get more people in and keep them in the game. And the focal point of that action is, like it or not, exactly the new players.. I tend to agree with a seasonal approach differing between contintents but in that case there needs to be a focus on making winter and spring more interesting and a season to look forward to for specific reasons. This is lacking at the moment. It would be stupid to have everyone have to make a base on each continent just to be able to produce crops.. What if we introduce a glasshouse just like they have in stardew valley?
Lurux

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Lurux wrote:
iamahh wrote:if noobs are having a hard time in winter it's because they cannot handle the game, let them drown and be ran over by boars, then they'll learn the game

Let them drown and run over by boars and in 2 years from now you will only have 50 players left.

Considering that every successive world high pop levels tends to last a little longer and have a higher starting population? This statement is false.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:08 pm

In some ways, there was better player retention when the world was more cutthroat. Since we don't really have good analytical data to base any of it on, it's all just random guessing and about as accurate as trying to guess what's buried 100m under the surface of Mars. Such speculation really isn't helpful for making good game design decisions.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas