Small vinegar bug

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Small vinegar bug

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 pm

loftar wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:doesn't all alcohol turn in to vinegar eventually if it's in a container that allows for it?

It probably turns into acetic acid, but I'm not sure you'd normally classify beer in that state as vinegar. While I know that there are such things as cider vinegars, the word "vinegar" does after all come from "wine".

Sure, lots of words have origins from another thing, but hey, it's just chemistry in the end. Provide the right ingredients and environment, and you get the proper result :ugeek: From what I just read in the last couple of days, it's yet another bacterial process. (I learned in chemistry class it was simply an "oxygenation process," but that wasn't really an accurate summation.) To make a better definition--and distinction--between vinegar and acetic acid, vinegar is acetic acid dissolved into water and keeping a flavor profile based on the alcohol it was created with.

For what it's worth, maybe there could be different vinegar types adding variables to appropriate foods... (Yes, you all can now shoot me--in game--for this suggestion.) Maybe this could come along with pickling which has been long requested.... (/me ducks the incoming fire)

Just for a reference, I'll quote an older Popular Science article on it https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008 ... egar-home/

Aki Kamozawa and H. Alexander Talbot wrote:The term "vinegar" actually refers to the two-step process of fermentation from a carbohydrate to an alcohol to an acetic acid. Sugar is converted into alcohol, which is then fermented into vinegar. Not all acetic acids are vinegar, although all vinegars are made from acetic acid.

Note that it is a four step process, not three, as it goes from alcohol to acetaldehyde to acetic acid.

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:https://www.gourmetfoodworld.com/san-giacomo-craft-beer-vinegar-16677

I found a couple others, including one on how to start your own Mother to produce vinegar (simply let a few fruit flies access the alcohol, fish out the dead flies, and then seal it up and let the process work).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jorb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:15 pm

I think there's mead vinegar as well.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby sabinati » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:36 pm

jorb wrote:I think there's mead vinegar as well.

yes but that's a known intended mechanic
sabinati

Postby loftar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:29 am

Artemiswhb wrote:Can confirm beer in a tankard will turn to vinegar after a while

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe this, but I've made sure to put beer and weißbier in tankards, on tables. I'll be checking back on them
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas