A new food system idea: Diet

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: A new food system idea: Diet

Postby DoverianDragoon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:06 am

An interesting idea... but I have some questions, just to make sure I understand you correctly. Let's try an example!

Let's say I log in with my noob self and chow down on a relatively small meal. This fills my "stomach" bar with various amounts of attributes. For the sake of specific examples, my theoretical stomach bar now looks like:
10% STR+1 + 10% AGI+1 + 10% WIL+1 + 40% CHA+1 + 30% EMPTY

By the time I'm done, my Hearthling is sitting at "Content." After 4 hours, I automatically Digest. The roll of the dice gives me +1 STR, and then my stomach empties 10% of each attribute type and becomes:
9% STR+1 + 9% AGI+1 + 9% WILL+1 + 36% CHA+1 + 37% EMPTY

But these 4 hours also dropped me from "Content" to "hungry." So:

3.6 hours later, I haven't eaten anything new and this time the dice land on "Empty." My stomach drains 20% of everything and becomes (approximately):
7% STR+1 + 7% AGI+1 + 7% WILL+1 + 29% CHA+1 + 50% EMPTY

And so it continues until I have no food attributes left in my stomach.

I am also assuming that the stomach caps at 100%, rather than just... overloading it with however much food it takes to get to Famished?

If I scale this understanding up to late-game, then:
- I don't have to make as much food because eating anything after 100% stomach is useless
- but, if I want the maximum benefit of that food (I don't personally, I'm just theorycrafting), I have to play this balancing game between keeping a full stomach (to avoid "wasting" a digestion event) and low hunger% (to get more digestion events)
- It takes a lot less food to fill a stomach, but higher quality food will leave me needing to fill that stomach more often

Does this actually lead to less time in the kitchen? How does this affect feasting? The symbel? Level scaling on attributes?

Constant attribute growth isn't my playstyle so what I'm looking at won't affect me, I'm just trying to understand other takes on the game. And I enjoy theorycrafting about it.
DoverianDragoon

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:52 am

Sounds okay, needs more thought put into it though. I also don't know how energy fits in here. Personally, I think anything eaten away from a table should only give energy, nothing else.
Fierce_Deity

Postby ctopolon4 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:37 am

make food system same as curio system are good but boring...
make a stomach like a study window will make food grind same as curio grind.
mostly hard are to maintain your char not outdated and grind cheeses, sausages and cachalots 10hrs every day, +1hr to eat, +time to questing or salt, making drinks, making 1kg pepper every 36hrs and get healRoots.
if you do same stuff every day and you dont like it you should script it or drop this game. its FarmFrenzy MMOsandbox with FullLooT +allowed botting & RMT. dont like that = dont play that...
if you play this game to chat every day with friends you should not care about stuff you do in game.

ontopic: current food system was developed by years and shouldn't be completely removed. here already is good catch up mechanics and gameplay mechanics. all becomes boring and its a fact. make it transform when you are bored = not good. make it 1clickWIn and trash = not good. iwould love to see developing of combat system and food system, not completely removing and start from scratch.
ctopolon4

Postby tehnox » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:33 pm

add food type category in the formula and its ECO food system
https://wiki.play.eco/en/Skill_Points
tehnox

Postby Vert » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:42 pm

it will be pretty good if food system get some change.
its take too much time, its boring, too much recipe that looks same
Vert

Postby ZoniaX » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:16 pm

I like this Idea but why remove satiations?
Satiations would be a great addition here and should last even longer so more different food would get some love
ZoniaX

Postby ZoniaX » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:21 pm

vatas wrote:I want to hear dev opinion on this. Should at least consider it a bit.

This could be a pretty good base concept tables could work like study desk
ZoniaX

Postby Rebs » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm

ctopolon4 wrote:make food system same as curio system are good but boring...
make a stomach like a study window will make food grind same as curio grind.
mostly hard are to maintain your char not outdated and grind cheeses, sausages and cachalots 10hrs every day, +1hr to eat, +time to questing or salt, making drinks, making 1kg pepper every 36hrs and get healRoots.
if you do same stuff every day and you dont like it you should script it or drop this game. its FarmFrenzy MMOsandbox with FullLooT +allowed botting & RMT. dont like that = dont play that...
if you play this game to chat every day with friends you should not care about stuff you do in game.

ontopic: current food system was developed by years and shouldn't be completely removed. here already is good catch up mechanics and gameplay mechanics. all becomes boring and its a fact. make it transform when you are bored = not good. make it 1clickWIn and trash = not good. iwould love to see developing of combat system and food system, not completely removing and start from scratch.

Kinda like this idea with the combined of the OP.
Turn a table into a study desk but for food. and every "digestion tick" you eat something from your food table. and when you eat outside of the table you just gain energy and not FEPs.
Rebs

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:53 pm

+1 quite liek this.

As for energy, you can still drink to gain it.

I'll add in that I wanted to suggest that food have increased resource cost, with increased benefit, so less time has be be invested by all.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby ZoniaX » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:52 pm

You should be able to get more stats if you put in more work. Symbel could increase chance for a +2 roll.
ZoniaX

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas