Credo mini rework

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Credo mini rework

Postby xzo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:37 pm

since many people are crying about credos, I think its mostly because credo quests are rarely interesting, and their difficulty is so randomized that in some cases its better to abandon 5 quests in a row to chance making 10 quests super fast, it would be nice to achieve following
-reduce abandon rate
-be able to focus on questing

combine Credos with Ancestral Shrine

the way it would work is that you pick credos from the shrine, and that's your main point of returning quest items, or getting quests, but that's not the fun part. Fun part is that you would have 3 sets of quests per level, and one would be marked same as numen quests, two optional would allow you to do alternative quests so you don't have to abandon that often, and actually keep questing in somehow interesting way, but only one in "silver frame" would move your credo progression forward.

shrine could also be a point of return quest items, instead of dragging those items to quest givers, maybe with exception on nomad

so quick example of actual questing scenario

you are doing gem hunter credo, your sets of quests are

1:
-bring small gem to the altar
-study sapphire

2: in frame ( progression quest)
- study strange crystal

3:
- mine jotun gem
- study strange crystal

here player would have a choice, or example he is not willing to wait so long to study crystal, so he decides to study sapphire and to bring gem to the altar, once both quests are done he will have to go back to the altar and select that this was the set of quests he would submit in a way, this submit function would be needed in case player would accidentally complete unwanted/ non progression quests

opinions ?
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Re: Credo mini rework

Postby vatas » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:42 am

I agree that some sort of system, where you can choose between a set of possible credo quests, would be great improvement.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Colin500 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Imo the issue with credos is how badly RNG based they are (thus some people have it easier and some harder) and that credo quests have a lot of time gates, often require a lot of resources or sometimes even have nothing to do with the credo itself - see Nomad taming animals.
You don't fix the broken system by changing from having 1 bad option, to having 3 bad options with only 1 working towards credo progression, I've yet to meet a person that even likes ancestral system.

As a better compromise or maybe someone would even call it a fix, I have suggested on HnH discord a progression bar kind of system, where you unlock the ability to progress credo and gain points towards completion by finishing regular tasks, so for forager it would be picking up foregables where for example dandelion would give 0.1 point, rustroot would give 0.3 and a credo level would require lets say 100 points per level.

That way a miner would actually be able to just mine for the village and finish the credo without being disabled for few days because of weird tasks, same goes for every other credo where fisherman supplies their village with fish they actually need rather than some random fishes and a tailor could just create some good clothing for their village instead of wasting mats on gilds and clothes no one will use in the future.

I'm more keen towards a system that lets you continously work towards your goal, while at the same time it does not make you a disabled person in terms of working for the village.
also remove quests pls tyty
Colin500

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 am

Colin500 wrote:As a better compromise or maybe someone would even call it a fix, I have suggested on HnH discord a progression bar kind of system, where you unlock the ability to progress credo and gain points towards completion by finishing regular tasks, so for forager it would be picking up foregables where for example dandelion would give 0.1 point, rustroot would give 0.3 and a credo level would require lets say 100 points per level.

Didn't that get posted here before? It's not a bad idea.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Critique & Ideas