character crash indicator

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

character crash indicator

Postby xzo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:42 pm

can we have like a lightning icon or something beside character that just crashed / got disconnected, it would appear only for few seconds so people in fight would have a point of reference in discussion if taken action was fair or not.
In all fairness I can see there is plenty of fair-play behavior in mass pvp and people are not always allowed to judge situation correctly, please consider for greater good and pvp community
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Re: character crash indicator

Postby Fostik » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:48 pm

It can easily be compromised by custom clients, and very soon will be used for baiting in fights. IMO no sense to do that
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby xzo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:13 pm

yea well, I also fear bad use of it but wanted to hear out more opinions than my own, maybe someone can figure it out how to prevent that abuse in reasonable way
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:13 pm

Fostik wrote:It can easily be compromised by custom clients

Not really, it would only be displayed on characters that are literally disconnected the way I reckon it, so that way it wouldn't be usefully compromisable. I guess except if you were willing to disconnect one client and just keep an eye on the disconnected character with another client, or something like that.

More importantly, I'm not sure whether I really want to display whether a character is disconnected or not. While I'll admit I don't immediately see the use-case, it seems that could be used to attack hapless noobs who accidentally disconnected while not realizing they couldn't log out or something. Not sure.

I'm also not sure how useful it would be. For instance, if a connection is physcally lost (yanked cable, bad wifi, &c), it wouldn't show until the connection times out, which currently takes 30-60 seconds or thereabouts, IIRC.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Return to Critique & Ideas