How to make the winter interesting: A guide for Jorbtar

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: How to make the winter interesting: A guide for Jorbtar

Postby Lurux » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 am

In the last couple of weeks we made a bunch of c&i threads about winter content. My own wintertime blues topic was in the period in which shortly after they decided to cut the days. The days were cut of short because of the lack of additional content versus what the winter takes away from the game as assessed by jorb. This means : they will likely (based on all the threads we saw in the past months) implement new content in that season, but it is not there priority at the moment : that's why they switched it to a lower amount of days. I am still vouching for a compiled winter ideas thread to put everything together. (hibernating bears has been suggested about 100 times now)
Lurux

Postby Noid » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:51 am

jordancoles wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Looks like a great system for making me log out the second winter starts and maybe logging back on again in the spring

The does lend itself to an interesting effect on warfare. It is traditional that war stops in winter, leading many commander's throughout history to attempt attacks during winter, in the hopes the enemy can't reinforce positions. If your village goes inactive because of the cold, perhaps your rivals will brave it for the chance at finally taking your shit. This will be limited because of how lacking siege currently is but fuck it we need more compelling battles anyway.

Every winter players would drop off and never return and if it played out the way you're saying with siege, then even the big bois would leave

Why would the "big bois" leave?

Players can drop off for many reasons: Getting killed, real life happening, lack of new content and no purpose in playing just to grind quality. I don't see how adding new content and such a fun mechanic (such as the cold system) could discourage someone from playing this beautiful game.
Noid

Postby Noid » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:57 am

jordancoles wrote:Looks like a great system for making me log out the second winter starts and maybe logging back on again in the spring

Maybe because you only enjoy ganking sprucecaps (as we can see from your videos) hence not interested in anything else this game could offer? ;)
Noid

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 am

Players will continue playing if there is adequate gain to do so. If winter is to be detrimental to the player due to the cold, it must become a valuable time to play in terms of potential resources. I'm not talking snowcaps and the odd ermine here. You'll play during the winter because if you don't brave the cold you will fall behind faster than you would quitting in the Summer. You will be excited for winter's embrace, spiting the cold but preparing to reap the rewards. It's the same feeling of the pre-dungeon prep, knowing your character could die, hyped up for a fight, thirsting for the reward, but spread out over a month.

Frankly if winter isn't interesting, and I don't think it is (even as a non-farmer), I'd rather see it removed. It could be re-added later with new content. I wouldn't care if they skipped a month of patches, just working on one big one to "fix winter". I feel the scales of balance are tipped wildly right now and could use one bigger change, rather than gradual adjustment.

kicksleds are fucking awesome though ngl
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:17 am

something as simple as winter season applying a straight debuff to all characters, like -some agi, -some will, -some convenience speed that can be easily counteracted by buffs recieved by eating hot foods, standing near fires, wearing warm clothes would be way less intrusive and kinda fun

no need for a big complicated temperature system

other than that, any new content for seasons is surely welcomed by anybody

spring is the total horseshit season, not winter
Zentetsuken

Postby Noid » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:22 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
spring is the total horseshit season, not winter

That's because spring is a total horseshit season...
Noid

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas