Winemaking Change

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Winemaking Change

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:55 pm

Small suggestion.

Never been a fan of wine, mostly because the product seems generic. Same for beer, etc. Useful, but generic.

Could be improved by using something similar to the mechanics of the smoke shed. The idea is that different additives (spices, herbs, etc.) have different potential benefits that can be added to the buffs/bonuses.

Add a wine cask. Reskin a barrel. Give it a 4x4 inventory to put additives. Let the interactions between the additives be complicated enough that players are unlikely to figure it out fully, adding a sense of mystery. Say, each additive has a weighted list of potential effects, positive and negative; as the additives accumulate, the effects vary. 16 additives is enough that each vintage could be unique and thus uniquely valuable, especially if people guard their combinations.

Further, the wood of the cask could and probably should be used to age wine, beer, etc. I'm sure when you add hard liquor, you'll need this.

Just a thought. I was a fan of the 4 elements in Salem, in that it created a sense of uniqueness to the various products.
ThorleifCleaver

Re: Winemaking Change

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Just to note: it's come up before in discussion: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=54556&p=724908&hilit=ATITD+wine#p724359 I think someone has made a thread on it, but it's probably been a while and it's buried.

I'll just say I'm a fan of the idea, but it needs to be a meaningful game mechanic or mini-game of some means.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Critique & Ideas