alternative to crop cap

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

alternative to crop cap

Postby AriZona » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Please consider an alternative to crop cap and those crop circles: remove cap and instead just modify crop growth (maturation) rate by the local node capping quality. For example: if crop q is below q of a local node, that crop grows at its nominal rate (like flax - withing 3.5 days); if crop q is above the local node - the growth rate is reduced (acting as a softcap to growth rate) and then flax would mature withing 5 days instead 3.5 d.

Then everyone can grow crops irrelevant of seed/crop quality. And somebody who owns places in good nodes still enjoy benefits.
AriZona

Re: alternative to crop cap

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:50 pm

AriZona wrote:Please consider an alternative to crop cap and those crop circles: remove cap and instead just modify crop growth (maturation) rate by the local node capping quality. For example: if crop q is below q of a local node, that crop grows at its nominal rate (like flax - withing 3.5 days); if crop q is above the local node - the growth rate is reduced (acting as a softcap to growth rate) and then flax would mature withing 5 days instead 3.5 d.

Then everyone can grow crops irrelevant of seed/crop quality. And somebody who owns places in good nodes still enjoy benefits.

I'm pretty sure crop growth rate is already dramatically affected by its own set of nodes.

I think if the devs do cave to the pressure from the loud and whiny few and remove the quality cap they should rather run with the idea of having to manipulate nodes with structures. It might be fun if crops not only had nodes for growth speed but also nodes that affected their quality increase/decrease luck ratio. Maybe having farm structures that mimic the idea of irrigation and fertilization could serve to boost the odds of quality increase and growth speed instead.
Zentetsuken

Postby Lurux » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
AriZona wrote:Please consider an alternative to crop cap and those crop circles: remove cap and instead just modify crop growth (maturation) rate by the local node capping quality. For example: if crop q is below q of a local node, that crop grows at its nominal rate (like flax - withing 3.5 days); if crop q is above the local node - the growth rate is reduced (acting as a softcap to growth rate) and then flax would mature withing 5 days instead 3.5 d.

I'm pretty sure crop growth rate is already dramatically affected by its own set of nodes.

I think if the devs do cave to the pressure from the loud and whiny few and remove the quality cap they should rather run with the idea of having to manipulate nodes with structures. It might be fun if crops not only had nodes for growth speed but also nodes that affected their quality increase/decrease luck ratio. Maybe having farm structures that mimic the idea of irrigation and fertilization could serve to boost the odds of quality increase and growth speed instead.

I really like fertilization and irrigation ideas.
The first one : fertilization opens up the use of mulch as fertilizer. Irrigation opens up high q or even springwater / construction additions.
Lurux

Postby AriZona » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:

We don't need additional complication and hassle, like irrigation, etc. Game became too convoluted . We need clarity and more simplicity.
AriZona

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:31 pm

I don't think these concepts need to be complicated, I was thinking more like a simple buildable object that has quality and implies irrigation. Like say, a well-like object with an affect radius around it. Same goes with fertilization. A simple buildable object that can be fed fertilizer with an affect radius, even a chicken coop could be used for this.
Zentetsuken

Postby AtoB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 am

There is no expedient alternative to limiting the attainable numbers.

Before someone with reading deficits comes and claims that there are alternatives (like regular wipes): yes, but these are not expedient.
AtoB

Postby YôḥānānRugelach » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:48 am

This is better than we currently have
YôḥānānRugelach
Under curfew

Return to Critique & Ideas