Liftable Drying Racks

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Liftable Drying Racks

Postby Sangoire » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:59 am

Drying Racks theoretically are lightweight compared to a lot of other liftables such as barrels and full cabinets. Hope they can be liftable one day, thanks! Even while only empty/unused.
Sangoire

Re: Liftable Drying Racks

Postby boreial » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am

They were liftable in Legacy, along with other constructs that are no longer, such as rope walks and carts. IIRC they did give a reason sometime after world 8 started as to why they turned certain objects to be unliftable, But I don't recall what those reasons were.

Grainger...MM... any recollection?
boreial

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:52 am

boreial wrote:They were liftable in Legacy, along with other constructs that are no longer, such as rope walks and carts. IIRC they did give a reason sometime after world 8 started as to why they turned certain objects to be unliftable, But I don't recall what those reasons were.

Grainger...MM... any recollection?

If Drying Frames were liftable in Legacy, it was well-kept secret.
Rope Walk was liftable for a week or so until it was changed, (Devs have later done the same thing to object or two, implying that it being liftable was a mistake in the implementation.)
I highly dounbt carts were ever liftable. (as a piece of trivia, they were indestructible [players quickly showed players that indestructible objects are bad idea, yet Statue of Chieftain wasn't made rammable until w7 IIRC] AND could only be pulled from the side that had handles, meaning that during first world people made walls from indesturctible drying frames and used cart as a gate.
If object is changed from liftable to un-liftable, it most likely wasn't meant to be liftable and devs fixed error they made when implementing it. Flagpole from early w11 is most recent example I can remember.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby avros008 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:32 pm

this should be a thing. At least even if we cant lift the drying rack we should be package it and unpackage it.
dafels wrote:the midges are not the problem,
you're the problem
avros008

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:06 am

avros008 wrote:this should be a thing. At least even if we cant lift the drying rack we should be package it and unpackage it.

well, why limit it to racks only? since looms and spinning wheels have very short life on open air - it would be cool if we can dismantle them too, because nowadays it is almost impossible to trade them without risk of disappearing.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby AtoB » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:34 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:
avros008 wrote:this should be a thing. At least even if we cant lift the drying rack we should be package it and unpackage it.

well, why limit it to racks only? since looms and spinning wheels have very short life on open air - it would be cool if we can dismantle them too, because nowadays it is almost impossible to trade them without risk of disappearing.

Would make sense. same for Ropewalks.
AtoB

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:58 am

AtoB wrote:Would make sense. same for Ropewalks.

I'd try to count the number of times this has come up, but I don't think I have enough fingers and toes.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:26 pm

MagicManICT wrote:

I'd try to count the number of times this has come up, but I don't think I have enough fingers and toes.

that's why I didn't say anything about ropewalks, but I dunno, should I create separate "Let us disassemble complex workstations" so you can merge all those threads in one (I think I've searched it and got no success)
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby AtoB » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:57 am

MagicManICT wrote:

I'm confident that you're able to count without having to resort to fingers or toes.
AtoB

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:12 pm

AtoB wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

I'm confident that you're able to count without having to resort to fingers or toes.

I'm sure I can, too... I'm just trying to be light-hearted in suggesting that this idea, both the drying racks and rope walks, have come up numerous times. :) Enough to be an issue with simply merging the various posts as it's not in some single thread... this may end up being the "go to" thread for it in the future, though.

It's been a while since I've seen jorb chime in on it. My memory is really long on a lot of things, but it's also really fuzzy on a lot, so I hate to make a statement on a "yes, if we can" or a "no, we're not going to bother. I seem to recall it being a technical issue, at least with the rope walk, and potentially something that can be addressed with the upcoming Soon (tm) "Object-Controlled Objects" update jorb has been discussing.

Enjoyment_2 wrote:that's why I didn't say anything about ropewalks, but I dunno, should I create separate "Let us disassemble complex workstations" so you can merge all those threads in one (I think I've searched it and got no success)

Well, a rope walk really isn't a complex workstation. It's more a couple boards with strong hooks on them, one side having a crank to spin the rope. On the other side, you usually want to weight down the board somehow so that tension is created. String a long section of twine back and forth between the two ropes, and then start cranking until you can't crank anymore. Both pieces of the ropewalk, even an "Old West" style one that can make 'double-twined' ropes with a gearing system can easily be transported by a single person. A grown man could carry both pieces under one arm.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas