Experience Event Birthdays

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Experience Event Birthdays

Postby feeder942 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 am

At the beginning of summer, every "year" we should get a full reset on all experience events, like a newborn. Would be nice, and add a sense of a birthday or newyear. just a thought
feeder942

Re: Experience Event Birthdays

Postby LadyCricket » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:05 am

Are you referring to the LP you earn when discovering something for a first time? That kind of experience event?

It sounds fun, but also kind of broken. I'm not sure Jorb and Loftar would be enthusiastic about just occasionally giving players and event where they can earn a cool 2000 LP just by going on a nature walk. Unless it also wiped your knowledge of all your recipes and you had to rediscover everything to get them back, which would please J&L and make the players dread this event, LOL.
LadyCricket

Postby feeder942 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:30 pm

No, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the events that occur when performing various actions which earn the player experience points

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Experience_Points

I have a good number of these which have only triggered maybe once or twice in the whole world so far. It would be nice if once every in game year (whether that be a point in the calendar like a new years or exactly a year since the hearthling was burned into the world, like a birthday) i could go back out exploring and 'catch 'em all' again. I feel like the system is pretty balanced right now, but this could perk it up a bit.
feeder942

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:33 pm

I can't remember where I read it, or if I'm senile, but afaik you constantly have a list of experience events that you can get, which changes every time you get one. You can get the same experience event like every 2 days (or maybe 1 day?) as long as you're lucky enough to get it on that list again
Though some of them trigger in a stupid way, like getting "Pricked by the Spindle" on the first thing you craft on the wheel, or the 50th.

Also I'm not sure about this one, but it felt like I was getting hard experience event resets every 2 or 3 days. Literally all of a sudden getting 6-7-8 experience events for everything.
So I think this "birthday" already exists, and it happens much more often than every year :D
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby OIchi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:34 am

Understanding the system is the key here ;p
Experiences have two separate cooldowns
1st is simply time related, eg you can only get "A Talking Tree" experience once in 2 days.
2nd is a bit more tricky it's about how many different experiences have you gotten in the mean time. eg you'll not get "A Talking Tree" experience until you get 3 other experiences first.
On top of that there is a % chance of getting it for most eg. based on my observations you have around 10% chance of getting "By Weeping Willows" given both cooldowns are ready.

Experience event chains are pretty common, there are few events with short time cooldowns and your almost ready to get them but you still need to get 1, 2, 3 different experience for them to be available, so when you finally finish one, the second becomes available, than 3rd and so on.
OIchi

Postby feeder942 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:22 pm

cool, yeah. why change a system when i can just learn to exploit it. time for an xp farm, yay
feeder942

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:32 am

Only problem with experience events is mystic quest asking for specific ones tbh. You're suggesting that instead of having experience events reset every 2 days, they should take 3 months? It would make mystic even worse than it already is.

Experience events should not be your main source of experience points, ironically. I was getting up to 10k exp from quests with 400-500 charisma before I stopped playing, and some people probably have 2-3k+ charisma by now.
You can do some quests for experience. It's not really worth to do random events which are intended to be *random* and don't really give that much experience no matter how hard you grind them, even with exp farms.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Return to Critique & Ideas