Amber vs Base (jorb and loftar read this)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Amber vs Base (jorb and loftar read this)

Postby LtTurtleshot » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Seriously, almost EVERYONE uses the custom clients. Why haven't you give a job to the creator/updater of Amber client yet? Just give them a job, make the base client more optimized and more user-friendly. What have you got to lose besides a few bucks (you could contract him for 3k for a month to update all assests and have an expertise on top of that).

I know this is your pet project, jorb and loftar, but come on, give the people what they want, a better user experience. If money is the problem, sure, but you'll probably get more reccuring subscribtions from that change alone, so more money, right?

Anyway, I'd also like to put it out there that you can't put vinegar in wine bottles.
LtTurtleshot

Re: Amber vs Base (jorb and loftar read this)

Postby shubla » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 pm

1. Devs don't have money to pay for other developers, especially not 3k, if they had a lot of money they could work full time on the game, which I doubt that they currently do.
2. Problem with default client is not completely the lack of time that the only actual coding dev of this game has, but also opinions about devs not wanting some (most) of the custom client features into the default client at all.
3. Actually I think APXEOLOG once offered to code a new better client for the game, but devs refused. (Or was that salem, oh well)

I highly doubt that investment of few thousand euros to hire somebody to work with the client for few months would ever pay back. And who knows, maybe romovs has good career and a better salary in his current job so money wouldn't be a great incentive.

Also optimizing the client is not an easy task because that would require a lot of work from loftar with what he has been doing for last few years or so or a complete rewrite from scratch, but it's too late for that now.

Best way to get better client is to learn swedish and programming, then move to sweden, find out where jorb lives, then hang out around the pubs near him and hope that he pays a visit, then attempt to befriend him. I think he posted a megathread with links to wikipedia articles of things that he likes, so you know which things to talk about with him. Then make suggestion about helping in the development efforts of the game, and in no time we have a new, improved client.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby captainmorgan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 pm

If the official client becomes the only option to play then I won't be playing anymore. Main reasons are the limited video options, locked camera, and laaaagggg. I like all of the extra features of the Amber client, night vision, scripts, map settings etc. But I'd give them up if the other issues in the official client were resolved.
captainmorgan

Postby meus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:35 am

meus

Postby oloth » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 am

meus wrote:Read the wiki.

:cam bad

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Console_Commands

yes, we can run java debugger and solve all your problems.
its game, why should we do some nonsense in the console? this is absolutely not normal
this is just 1 issue out, new client is too raw version
oloth

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:50 am

the funny thing that you're reffering to the wiki, which absolutely have no relations with dev-team and even not supported by devs. So it's kinda ironically to link it as the defence of official client
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby meus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:04 pm

And yet there are people that complain they can't play because "they can't click on the door behind palisade".
meus

Postby Gojo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:36 pm

I hope this get's fixed soon. :(
Gojo

Postby captainmorgan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Ah that solves one problem. And I just discovered another, there's no overlay grid unless I'm missing something, and no mine support radius. Boo.
captainmorgan

Postby CLAVICEMBALO3 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:12 pm

LtTurtleshot wrote:Seriously, almost EVERYONE uses the custom clients. Why haven't you give a job to the creator/updater of Amber client yet? Just give them a job, make the base client more optimized and more user-friendly. What have you got to lose besides a few bucks (you could contract him for 3k for a month to update all assests and have an expertise on top of that).

I know this is your pet project, jorb and loftar, but come on, give the people what they want, a better user experience. If money is the problem, sure, but you'll probably get more reccuring subscribtions from that change alone, so more money, right?

Anyway, I'd also like to put it out there that you can't put vinegar in wine bottles.

Who is the developer of amber client? We can collect some money to him to fix amber client.... Amber client is the top, the game is impossible to be played without it.... I thought it was developed by creators of game!
CLAVICEMBALO3

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas