if we can do it, so can horses

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: if we can do it, so can horses

Postby Massa » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:05 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Massa wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Can I just delete this thread so jorb doesn't see it and put in what they did in the past elsewhere?

what would he do

This:
MadNomad wrote:we should only be able to climb high cliffs with ropes, the higher the cliff is the more ropes we must tie together
do not forget that jumping down one of those should result in a terribly heavy wound, possibly instant loss of the hearthling as well ¦]

The Salem climbing system wasn't quite this... but close enough.

QUICK DELETE IT
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Massa wrote:QUICK DELETE IT

If only real life worked this way...

When one forgets the mistakes of history, one is doomed to repeat them. (I'm saying that Salem system was a bit of a mistake... let's not repeat it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:38 pm

What was so bad about Salem system? IIRC you just needed to unlock skills that increased the height of cliffs you can climb/descent, and a rope? Was there a chance to injure yourself?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:31 pm

I just know it was a pain in the ass for a few reasons that I don't recall all of now. The big one that sticks in my head is until you get all the skills, it was a pain understanding how high you could climb, and then there was the "safe" heights even when you could climb anything. Death was a possibility if it was high enough and low enough stats.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I just know it was a pain in the ass for a few reasons that I don't recall all of now. The big one that sticks in my head is until you get all the skills, it was a pain understanding how high you could climb, and then there was the "safe" heights even when you could climb anything. Death was a possibility if it was high enough and low enough stats.

I think it should be the same in Hafen. There is a little reason why hearthlings should be able to just jump through them. Not too long ago it was even possible to move liftables through them (both in hafen and salem, though that has been now fixed probably).
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Massa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:42 pm

shubla wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:I just know it was a pain in the ass for a few reasons that I don't recall all of now. The big one that sticks in my head is until you get all the skills, it was a pain understanding how high you could climb, and then there was the "safe" heights even when you could climb anything. Death was a possibility if it was high enough and low enough stats.

I think it should be the same in Hafen. There is a little reason why hearthlings should be able to just jump through them. Not too long ago it was even possible to move liftables through them (both in hafen and salem, though that has been now fixed probably).

you don't have an opinion that isn't fucking bad
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas