Make crimes only have a chance of doing HP damage

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Make crimes only have a chance of doing HP damage

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Early world I often find myself unable to take things I actually want and always being low HP from crime, and late world I always seem to end up moving 5 vandal alts across and cycling them through beds whenever I want to do something. In raids nobody ever just goes through cupboards and takes what they want, it's always picking up cupboards, moving them off claim, then taking stuff, because it's the most HP efficient.

It doesn't really affect destroying stuff, usually, because bashing an entire house is 1 HP, which is what you'd want to do if your goal is total destruction anyway. I think leaving a scent only having a 5%-10% chance to do SHP damage would still work as DDOS protection, and hinder gameplay less.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: Make crimes only have a chance of doing HP damage

Postby MrBunzy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:23 pm

+1
The game should encourage raiding to steal stuff over raiding to salt the earth and destroy everything, but currently it does the opposite by making it easier to destroy than to steal.
Last edited by MrBunzy on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby saltyfish » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Oh, Booo-hoooo... boo-hoooo

(too much effort in ruining ppl (?). Maybe devs should add extra HHP demage for that...)
saltyfish

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:17 am

I mean yeah, that would make sense. Higher crimes should do more damage and have a higher chance of triggering then lower crimes. Vandalism could have a chance to deal damage for each 25% health destroyed on an object.
Fierce_Deity

Postby vatas » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 am

There's some point in this post. Looking into 10 containers is arguably less sever of an offense than bashing the house, but game punishes you with 10 SHP lost for the former and 1 SHP for the latter (assuming you have enough energy/water to not run out of neither, and having to restart the process.)

If I was brainstorming about this with devs, I would suggest changing direct SHP damage from scents into some sort off debuff that would be separate for each type of crime. You could look into quite a lot of containers without filling up your Tresspassing debuff counter, but each tick of dealing damage to a house would add to your vandalism debuff counter.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby shubla » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Simple fix is to count all items when lifting or bashing a container.
For example if you lift a cupboard with 6 items, you get 7SHP dmg.
If you bash house with 2 looms and 5 cupboards totalling 5*64 items, you will get 328 shp damage.
This way it will always be more sensible to steal items than destroy containers holding them.

To make further difference in destroying a stick fence when compared to a house, there could be a hitpoint-based vandalism damage for destroying stuff too. sqrt(hitpoints)*soak for example. This wouldn't apply to vandalism done with siege machines.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MadNomad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 pm

shubla wrote:Simple fix is to count all items when lifting or bashing a container.
If you bash house with 2 looms and 5 cupboards totalling 5*64 items, you will get 328 shp damage.
This way it will always be more sensible to steal items than destroy containers holding them.

To make further difference in destroying a stick fence when compared to a house, there could be a hitpoint-based vandalism damage for destroying stuff too. sqrt(hitpoints)*soak for example. This wouldn't apply to vandalism done with siege machines.

this is a good idea, but I think that it could be improved by a lot - damage should also be based on the item that was stolen/destroyed(for items that can be put in inventory) - for example a sword should give 10 base shp damage when stolen, multiplied by the same multiplier that increases damage

similiar thing should be implemented for all items that exist in game - this way you wouldn't be able to mindlessly bash everything but choose your actions wisely
MadNomad

Postby shubla » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:53 pm

MadNomad wrote:
shubla wrote:Simple fix is to count all items when lifting or bashing a container.

this is a good idea, but I think that it could be improved by a lot - damage should also be based on the item that was stolen/destroyed(for items that can be put in inventory) - for example a sword should give 10 base shp damage when stolen, multiplied by the same multiplier that increases damage

similiar thing should be implemented for all items that exist in game - this way you wouldn't be able to mindlessly bash everything but choose your actions wisely

Manual item specific shp damages would be too complicated.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby vatas » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:40 pm

shubla wrote:Manual item specific shp damages would be too complicated.

Reminds me of how (IIRC) jorb was otherwise quite cordial to inventory weight system, but it would require assigning weight to every single item in the game.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby hektor96643 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Early world I often find myself unable to take things I actually want and always being low HP from crime, and late world I always seem to end up moving 5 vandal alts across and cycling them through beds whenever I want to do something. In raids nobody ever just goes through cupboards and takes what they want, it's always picking up cupboards, moving them off claim, then taking stuff, because it's the most HP efficient.

It doesn't really affect destroying stuff, usually, because bashing an entire house is 1 HP, which is what you'd want to do if your goal is total destruction anyway. I think leaving a scent only having a 5%-10% chance to do SHP damage would still work as DDOS protection, and hinder gameplay less.

Our most beloved Slugness made a valid point.
+1
hektor96643

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas