World map is way too big

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: World map is way too big

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Massa wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:
yep a literallywho with no posts and a minion avatar is the perfect candidate for determining a proper world size

the corpses in my onion basement are proof that the world is too fucking small because they're all from the last fucking week dude

i can't stop tripping over shitters

I play this game 2 years more than you and have killed 100x more sprucecaps than you, don't even mention your naked heartling avatar. If you don't have something smart to say, it's better to not write at all.

World map is definitely too big for current playerbase. When I've heard that everyone spawn on same continent I was so happy. I've been meeting random players (in the first 3 weeks) every ~2h in forest. It's still too low for 1k online players at the moment.
IMO game will be much better when there will be more social situations

yeah let's wave our dicks around about registration dates you fucking goon

the world map is perfectly fine in size, what needs work is spawning

the world should not be so dense you trip over other players every few minutes (which i still fucking do) whenever you go outside. every minimap is an abandoned shithole.

Are you and idiot or what? I don't talk about abadoned shitholes but players being online at the same moment
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:59 pm

I think spawn density is something that should get talked about before next world. This is the first time in my hafen career that roaming around on a Snekkja explicitly to kill nabs was by far the best way to farm curios. I was killing, not my group, me specifically, avg 20 people a day for more than two weeks straight at the start of the world. That's kills, somebody was getting KOed EASILY every 10 minutes or less. We ended up having like 60 study desks from random nabshacks within the first few days. Three people ganking for a few hours a day were producing enough curios for basically the entire village & alts.

The highest possible population density is fun for me, both early and late game... But I kinda feel sorry for new players/non-PVPers that probably spent their first 2-3 weeks of the world just getting repeatedly shit on all day by groups they probably never stood a chance of escaping in a chase, let alone beating. HOWEVER, if the current player count were evenly distributed among the entire world we would never see anybody, markets wouldn't function because nabs wouldn't have enough will to travel, and I would have quit by now for lack of social interactions.

A smaller world with a larger central continent is probably the way to go, but I'm not confident about saying that at all. Probably Jorb & Loftar have some heatmaps for player activity/stats on people quitting that they can compare to previous worlds and decide what's most worth it.

Another solution might be some way to make it more clear to nabs that they can get away from the densely population rape-zone with whirlpools, but I'm not sure how to do that in an elegant way.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:12 pm

noindyfikator wrote:1 player per 186 map tiles.

Population density isn't even and won't be even if you shrink the map. 0 population in ocean tiles as well Good numbers but don't mean much without proper context. I think you can discount other continents as outliers, everyone started on the central continent; those that left typically did so to escape the high population area. They might quit anyway if they weren't given this option.

I'm curious, how do you feel about w11's map/spawns?

SnuggleSnail wrote:The highest possible population density is fun for me, both early and late game-

This is largely my point. My team got fucked by various factions early this world but we moved away, prospered, and still play to this day. I don't like how we have a player that, by reputation at least, is impossible to beat, but thoroughly enjoying the map this world. I never got attacked at all in w11, I survived two muggings the first week of this one and none since due to isolationism. Had we no where to run, we would have likely been ground to dust and quit.

Massa wrote:every minimap is an abandoned shithole.

Off-topic idea: exponential decay. The longer shit like walls and buildings go unrepaired, the more damage they take. Abandoned plots disappear and nature overtakes them faster.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Massa » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:38 pm

noindyfikator wrote:durr

yeah and I see fucking 10 a day
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Massa wrote:

I don't and that's the problem. Either you and me should meet 10 players a day.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Massa » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:56 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
Massa wrote:

I don't and that's the problem. Either you and me should meet 10 players a day.

why

don't live on west cont lol
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Agrik » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 am

noindyfikator wrote:1 player per 933 map tiles.
On the average. It does not say anything about existence of more or less densely populated areas.

SnuggleSnail wrote:The highest possible population density is fun for me, both early and late game... But I kinda feel sorry for new players/non-PVPers that probably spent their first 2-3 weeks of the world just getting repeatedly shit on all day by groups they probably never stood a chance of escaping in a chase, let alone beating. HOWEVER, if the current player count were evenly distributed among the entire world we would never see anybody, markets wouldn't function because nabs wouldn't have enough will to travel, and I would have quit by now for lack of social interactions.
Maybe a choice can help. For example, present new chars with options:
- spawn in the densely-populated center, with warning that not all the population is peaceful;
- spawn in outskirts where you won't find people easily, and at the same time, not many people will stumble on you.
And perhaps a third option with something in-between.
Agrik

Postby Vigilance » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 am

noindyfikator wrote:I play this game 2 years more than you and have killed 100x more sprucecaps than you,

as someone who is familiar with massa's prior world exploits, no you havent on both proposed counts there, and you should probably be less of a fucking clown about registration dates and more respectful of who you want to try to flaunt your e-dick to

this world size is 100% perfectly fine, i strongly enjoyed the way the spawning worked where if you wanted a social mmorpg experience and all the chaos that went with it, you stayed on the main cont. otherwise, you escaped off to another place and gambled that the people on the other cont that settled before you won't evict you to high hell. even in this awfully low and suspect player count i still see plenty of people walking around their stupid nab shacks that i can walk right in and ransack if i wanted to, the world teems with life on the main continent.

this was the first world where i really felt like i was playing a right proper Big MMO because of the "one continent start" experience. i woke up every day to koreans in my mineshafts stealing my chalcopyrite. i'd frankly be downright annoyed if we took a full step back to last world's generation.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby shotmichael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:58 am

One issue is not really knowing which areas are highly populated or not. Like you might be running into more people than you'd like to (or not enough). But then you don't really know if another continent would better suit your needs, or if you're on the best one but just had bad luck. And moving to find out is time consuming, especially if you die several times or have invested in getting set up somewhere and have to abandon a lot of belongings.

It would actually be interesting if there were a way to know the player density in areas without easily allowing players to be tracked. So that those who want to play in isolation can go to a low density region where they know they will likely never bump into others. Or a high density region where meeting others is more likely.

I think to achieve this, one option is to have a page showing the continents and how many earthlings are currently active in each. We already list how many hearthlings are currently online. Ultimately, I think this would lead to some continents being known for more activity, versus other continents where you are less likely to run into someone.
shotmichael

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 am

Knowing the rough player density of an area is very simple.

If main cont it's high
If not main cont it's very, very, very, very, very, very low
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas