World map is way too big

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

World map is way too big

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:15 pm

There are 1k -> 200 players online for first ~3 months. For next 12 months there will be 150-200 players online. World map is way to big. I've been wandering for 6h and I haven't seen anyone. It's like single player game.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Re: World map is way too big

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:51 pm

noindyfikator wrote:There are 1k -> 200 players online for first ~3 months. For next 12 months there will be 150-200 players online. World map is way to big. I've been wandering for 6h and I haven't seen anyone. It's like single player game.

This was also true in the most stable high population months at the start of the game. Anybody who jumped ship to the other continents was surely able to walk for 6 hours and not see anybody. It took me several months of living on and exploring the western continent before I even saw a chopped tree.

For a game that tries really hard to both appeal to the larper who would be happy to have a single player or private server experience of this game, and the PVP/griefer who desires high population chaos, I think giant maps like this might be the only way to go.
Zentetsuken

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Haven & Hearth is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) set in a fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend.

Where is that MMO then when you can't find other playing people to talk with them? Is it all about using third apps like discord to set common place for talking/trading etc? I would rather go to other village and ask if they have better QL axe than me or check their barter stand just in the corner of their walls.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Ocerion » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:21 pm

You must be wandering underground, I can't go anywhere without encountering people. Given that I'm in the Balders Bra area I'd very much like to encounter LESS people, as the folks running this are mindless trolls who attack anything that moves. Consider yourself lucky not running into them. And ffs if you feel its not MMO enough try talking a little on the various kingdom chats, we're all plenty connected. Little too connected if anything.
Ocerion

Postby vatas » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:33 pm

IIRC w8 was much, much larger.

AND you had to walk from the central spawn area, everybody made their base at somewhere along the edge.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Massa » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:04 pm

You are wrong.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:24 pm

If you want the single player option you can always just whirlpool to a different continent, they're needlessly large. West continent really has no business being so huge, and most of the south is still unexplored.

It definitely should be smaller but jorb just likes big worlds, probably for some larp reasons.

vatas wrote:IIRC w8 was much, much larger.

AND you had to walk from the central spawn area, everybody made their base at somewhere along the edge.

That world managed to kill all the hype hafen had because of the payment method, not being able to play with friends except by luck, and never encountering anyone because of the size of the map. Trying to draw any comparisons out of it is just unreasonable. For anyone unaware: https://odditown.com/haven/map/world8/
DDDsDD999

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 pm

Not much reasons to wander outside of your walls after early game, as things like foraging and even hunting become more irrelevant.
The constant danger of somebody KOS'ing you doesn't really bring any more positive feelings about leaving the walls to explore either.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:50 am

shubla wrote:Not much reasons to wander outside of your walls after early game, as things like foraging and even hunting become more irrelevant.
The constant danger of somebody KOS'ing you doesn't really bring any more positive feelings about leaving the walls to explore either.

I had a few different characters who's job it was to explore and gather local resources, fish, hunt and so on.
Hunting for high q animals for bones is definitely relevant even far in to the game, it takes a long time for domestic q's to surpass hunting.
Staying in your walls is really only a privilege that massive realm-type villagers can afford due to having so many people working to pump massive industries, and even then they are definitely going out to gather local resources and hunt and shit.

Also, to be fair, you personally discovered just how unprotective walls actually are this world.
Zentetsuken

Postby WESKERBOY » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 am

Like big world, could be smaller yes but big Is More than good. I like my privacy, also like comercial transactions, but not More than privacy with some neighbours.
W5 hermit
W6 hermit
Dropout
1/2 w11 hermit other 1/2 citizen of Arkona
WESKERBOY

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas