World map is way too big

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: World map is way too big

Postby shotmichael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:00 am

That makes sense, now that I've looked at a world map for the first time.
shotmichael

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am

this world size is 100% perfectly fine, i strongly enjoyed the way the spawning worked where if you wanted a social mmorpg experience and all the chaos that went with it, you stayed on the main cont. otherwise, you escaped off to another place and gambled that the people on the other cont that settled before you won't evict you to high hell. even in this awfully low and suspect player count i still see plenty of people walking around their stupid nab shacks that i can walk right in and ransack if i wanted to, the world teems with life on the main continent.

Ye, it's fine when there are 1000 players online, but it's not fine when there are 200 players online.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 am

the size of this world was fine

I think there is an artificial sense of vastness with the deep ocean continent separation.
I would be willing to bet that there would be a lot more people spread out on the western and southern continents if it didn't take some more obnoxious/unintuitive mechanics like whirpooling and knarring to get there.

This is something people bitch about every world, and rather than whine about how a world that was suited for world-launch population is now too big, why don't we shift our rhetoric and ask why the fuck the devs have not managed to make the mid/endgame more enjoyable? How has it taken 10 years to figure out exactly zero ways to keep 1000 people interested in the game for longer than 6 months?

Maybe worlds should just end after 6 months?
Zentetsuken

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Maybe worlds should just end after 6 months?

Offtopic: Or just make game progression SLOWER (30k lp/h, eating 20 cupboards of food a day???, animal cheesing (what's more funny, hunting a mammoth with 10 people or building a pali and cheesing to death?...) etc etc etc) so people won't defeat the best animals in first week of the game?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Killing a mammoth with 10 people would be fun once, then you would need to kill 200 more mammoths.
Should the game rly be unplayable if you don't have 10 friends ready to hard grind dumb shit with you? Imagine if you couldn't cheese whales, and the only people capable of getting stats as a result are mega villages that consistently have 10+ fights online
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:41 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Killing a mammoth with 10 people would be fun once, then you would need to kill 200 more mammoths.
Should the game rly be unplayable if you don't have 10 friends ready to hard grind dumb shit with you? Imagine if you couldn't cheese whales, and the only people capable of getting stats as a result are mega villages that consistently have 10+ fights online

GraspGastropod makes a valid point.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:22 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Should the game rly be unplayable if you don't have 10 friends ready to hard grind dumb shit with you?

Sounds like my typical Friday Night WoW Raid.

And yeah, if you can't organize 10 people (or.... you know ;) ), maybe you don't deserve the mammoth?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Massa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:41 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Should the game rly be unplayable if you don't have 10 friends ready to hard grind dumb shit with you?

Sounds like my typical Friday Night WoW Raid.

And yeah, if you can't organize 10 people (or.... you know ;) ), maybe you don't deserve the mammoth?

the largest and most successful mmo in history vs.

You parade yourself as an intellectual, at least, to some degree, so could you actually bother with a good argument?

yeah let's get 5-10% of the total concurrent player pop on to kill one fat ass cow for one piece of armor
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:41 am

Massa wrote:You parade yourself as an intellectual, at least, to some degree, so could you actually bother with a good argument?

It's a very good point... and did you completely miss the "other" options? :roll: (I know combat bots have been out there. Whether anyone uses them currently, I've not a clue.) TBH, the largest creatures should take at least a few players to take down, but we're stuck in cheeseville for the foreseeable future.

Massa wrote:yeah let's get 5-10% of the total concurrent player pop on to kill one fat ass cow for one piece of armor

We're over six months into the world... I expect the top players can take down pretty much anything solo at this point without needing to resort to certain exploits, maybe a couple of people to help just to make it fast.

Massa wrote:the largest and most successful mmo in history vs.

Funny... I've played other indie MMOs that never had more than a few dozen players logged in at once, and it wasn't too hard to get enough on for some specific activity. I played MUDs throughout the 90s when there might be a couple hundred players total around the world in some of the MUDs, let alone online at once (don't think any of the early servers could have handled more than a couple dozen players logged in at once, anyway) and never had issues organizing dungeon runs. If people want to accomplish something, they'll organize and do it.

And then there's the generalization that Haven players likely play 2-3x harder and longer on average than the typical WoW player. Our lowest tier players are probably equal to mid tier raiders and dungeon runners in WoW.

I honestly expect people to read my briefer statements and get to what I'm saying rather than requiring me to explain things in minute details. I could be precise, but then would you really read the wall of text I'm posting?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 am

MagicManICT wrote:-snip-

All my friends fucking hate this game. They complain it is overcomplex (which I personally love), has poor controls, one guy recently wouldn't play just because it "looks like ass"; his words. They go on the forums and see shitters with 4chan attitudes, bickering between devs and players, hear they need to download a custom client and it turns them off. I had 5 friends convinced to play at one point, they all quit at Hafen's launch because it was initially priced at $15 per month, same as fucking WoW. HnH is a bit weirder than your average indie, yet I'm autistic enough to play and still try to get my friends into it, but maybe I don't deserve a mammoth. Nice.

Yeah I know I'm taking that line way too personally, I've taken down mammoths before but damn this game is hard to love.

Anyway, I think we're off topic now. My take away from this thread has been this guy is complaining because he can't find many people in a remote area where people move to get away from people like him. He seems to refuse to move to markets complaining about inactivity, seeking to explore more of the world rather than focusing on actual high density areas. Most recently, it seems he wants a smaller map tailored to late game populations, which would cause more early game chaos and quitting from those who lose hope of playing farmville style. It seems to me his ultimate problem isn't map size or even population density but total population, and perhaps we should address issues with player retention first.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas