World map is way too big

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: World map is way too big

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:02 am

WowGain wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:snip

i genuinely have no idea what this thread is even trying to accomplish.

Then read again or write pw to me I can explain in your language if you don't understand.
In a nutshell: World map is too big, we are trying to figure out perfect world map size.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Fostik » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:04 am

noindyfikator wrote:There are max 200 players on-line right now. There aren't populated areas..

I'd recommend you to use "Unique players per day" rather than "Players online" to rate area population with better precision.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby vatas » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:18 am

Fostik wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:There are max 200 players on-line right now. There aren't populated areas..

I'd recommend you to use "Unique players per day" rather than "Players online" to rate area population with better precision.

Can you see "Unique players per day" for Haven somewhere?

IIRC Salem only showed "Unique players per day" instead of "Players online" and it allegedly was to hide/mitigate the low player numbers. (It would've helped at least by counting in people who mostly just logged in for 5mins a day for a Gluttony session.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:29 am

vatas wrote:Can you see "Unique players per day" for Haven somewhere?

No, but if it follows the same general trends as nearly all other MMOs, it's about 6x what peak concurrent player counts are. If there's about 200 online at peak, that puts it around 1200 active players currently*. Few MMOs over the years have deviated from this much. Some have had very regional popularity skewing their peak time counts vs off-peak. Others tend towards "staying logged in even if not playing" (for example, some of the Japanese and Korean produced games that make you keep a character logged in to run a market stall).

*I'm going to say that this is significantly better than some other indie MMORPGs have done after 10+ years of operation. I can think of one that is still running after nearly 20 years that has always been open about the number of subscribers that have played in the past 30 days, and six months into a particular server run, they're typically down to around 400 active players total.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby WowGain » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 am

im not saying i cant comprehend what you're saying im saying that your point is absolutely moot
almost all replies that have to do with your idea that its somehow impossible to encounter active groups of people outright repudiate it (because its just earnestly and patently false unless you're walking around with your eyes closed), and outside of that its just a vague 'feeling' that the world 'seems too big' when its provable that there have been far larger worlds than this in the past, such as w8- and the nature of the fact that we all spawned on a central continent where the majority of players will never actually be making ocean crosses further disproves that, seeing as the central continent is the only playspace for a vast majority of all players.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby vatas » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:42 am

MagicManICT wrote: Others tend towards "staying logged in even if not playing" (for example, some of the Japanese and Korean produced games that make you keep a character logged in to run a market stall).

Offtopic but I just have to share this story, it was from some National Geographic style magazine interviewing people about the MMORPG that they're playing. Someone, possibly from Korea, played a game with stalls like ones you described and mentioned he massively increased his sales after changing the character operating the stall from burly dwarf into a cute girl.

MagicManICT wrote:*I'm going to say that this is significantly better than some other indie MMORPGs have done after 10+ years of operation. I can think of one that is still running after nearly 20 years that has always been open about the number of subscribers that have played in the past 30 days, and six months into a particular server run, they're typically down to around 400 active players total.

Now I'm curious about what game is that. Hit me with PM if you feel it's inappropriate to mention it here.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Fostik » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:11 am

vatas wrote:Can you see "Unique players per day" for Haven somewhere?

IIRC Salem only showed "Unique players per day" instead of "Players online" and it allegedly was to hide/mitigate the low player numbers. (It would've helped at least by counting in people who mostly just logged in for 5mins a day for a Gluttony session.)

Yes, you can check it here:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/track/

Just wanted to say (again and again), that online represents a time, which player need to spend in game to do his stuff. I mean, at world start players spend 10+ hours a day for game to do different stuff, when at late game they will only need ~1 hour a day or even few hours a week to replant crops, feed animals, take curios, etc.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Massa » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
WowGain wrote:

i genuinely have no idea what this thread is even trying to accomplish.

Then read again or write pw to me I can explain in your language if you don't understand.
In a nutshell: World map is too big, we are trying to figure out perfect world map size.

yep a literallywho with no posts and a minion avatar is the perfect candidate for determining a proper world size

the corpses in my onion basement are proof that the world is too fucking small because they're all from the last fucking week dude

i can't stop tripping over shitters
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:34 pm

yep a literallywho with no posts and a minion avatar is the perfect candidate for determining a proper world size

the corpses in my onion basement are proof that the world is too fucking small because they're all from the last fucking week dude

I play this game 2 years more than you and have killed 100x more sprucecaps than you, don't even mention your naked heartling avatar. If you don't have something smart to say, it's better to not write at all.

World map is definitely too big for current playerbase. When I've heard that everyone spawn on same continent I was so happy. I've been meeting random players (in the first 3 weeks) every ~2h in forest. It's still too low for 1k online players at the moment.
IMO game will be much better when there will be more social situations
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Massa » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:41 pm

noindyfikator wrote:

I play this game 2 years more than you and have killed 100x more sprucecaps than you, don't even mention your naked heartling avatar. If you don't have something smart to say, it's better to not write at all.

World map is definitely too big for current playerbase. When I've heard that everyone spawn on same continent I was so happy. I've been meeting random players (in the first 3 weeks) every ~2h in forest. It's still too low for 1k online players at the moment.
IMO game will be much better when there will be more social situations

yeah let's wave our dicks around about registration dates you fucking goon

the world map is perfectly fine in size, what needs work is spawning

the world should not be so dense you trip over other players every few minutes (which i still fucking do) whenever you go outside. every minimap is an abandoned shithole.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas