Crossing Rivers with Horses

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Crossing Rivers with Horses

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:09 pm

I know, I know, this has been discussed. Just throwing it out there as a friendly reminder of how useful it would be for traveling.

We can carry boats (row and dugout) across land when traveling, so why not let horses cross water? Just dismount and leash them, and they will follow you where you swim - much like entering and exiting a cave. Of course drowning dangers would apply for both horse and rider. And no fancy stuff needed (such as also dragging a cart or other animals across.)

Just a simple fix to greatly (and realistically) enhance cross country travel. Maybe apply to other livestock (any leashed animal), but for me, just horses would be great. Just horse and rider (hmm...maybe no dismount? I've wondered about why you need to dismount to enter a cave but not a mine hole - a house but not a gate? ... just musing - computer code doesn't always translate I suppose.)
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Re: Crossing Rivers with Horses

Postby WowGain » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm

I assume animal crossings are why Rafts exist
Among other things
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:06 pm

WowGain wrote:I assume animal crossings are why Rafts exist
Among other things

Yup. When I was doing Nomad in w10 (and had no knowledge of road networks) my go-to-way of traveling was to use horse and a cart with two raft pieces.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Hmm. I've never actually built a raft, so I wasn't aware they could be dismantled and carted. I'll have to keep that in mind! Although, I almost never travel on horseback with a cart because I SUCK at navigating around trees so I'm always getting them stuck. Wait, wouldn't you just have to build another cart on the other side of the water? Can you put a cart on a raft? So much to learn in this game! Well, I have some experimenting to do now :geek:
Thanks guys!
valeriesusanne

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 pm

(it still would be nice to lead a horse across water)
valeriesusanne

Postby Fostik » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm afraid horses will become uncontested choice of traveling, makes everything else unnecessary.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Fierce_Deity » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:48 am

I think this could be okay if you had to dismount, leash the horse and swim across. They'll swim with you. Swimming drains their stamina too, though I don't think it should be too crazy. 2-4% per tile or something.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:07 am

Horses can swim, even with a person on their back. Maybe not in the person is armored, but I doubt the person could swim themselves in that situation. So I think realism agrees with us.

As for gameplay wise it's a big yes from me. It is an absolute pissoff to be out questing on your favorite horsie only to be given a new quest across a river. Time to hearth home and quit for the night, to return later on foot or by boat. Let my equine son swim that I might continue playing this game without the frustration of retreading a fresh trail.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 am

Rivers are kind of the only way to stop people with horses chasing you forever if you don't have a safe pali nearby. But ending chases quicker might just be a good thing.
DDDsDD999

Postby mvgulik » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 am

valeriesusanne wrote:I've wondered about why you need to dismount to enter a cave ... or a house?

You don't need to, its just easier while dismounted. (ref posts)
mvgulik

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas