Revisiting the idea of permanence

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Revisiting the idea of permanence

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:43 am

Apocoreo wrote:[That's pretty much why I feel that way though. I'm legit surprised there are still people stronger, at least 2 months ago. Also slightly disappointed these titans aren't dickwaving and fighting each other. Not openly at least.

Yeah, what I meant was that they had higher stats 2 months ago than what he has now.
Which is another nice argument for me to use when talking about snowballing, and how awful it would be to keep your characters throughout the world resets. :D
Maybe one day the game won't need resets, which would be nice.
Perhaps something similar to what happens in WoW: a new expansion comes out, either the stat limit increases, or all stats are downscaled.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:33 am

Characters from old worlds could be put in Valhalla, if the only reason you want it is as a memento, but I suspect that's not what you mean.

Personally, I don't really get attached to characters at all. They're just numbers walking around that represent how socially debilitating your autism has been recently. I would low key really love a way to show off my old villages. Like placing a some turbo-expensive version of a troll eye at the end of the world, and that area be saved with people able to view it later somehow. I'd love for people to be able to see Snail Habitat, Trix Town, Quiet Snail, or Corpse Vault. I sure people would love to see Community Fair, Aurora, Dakkan's old pyramid, or previous alter's of ruin.

90%+ of my stats are from stolen food. It would be fairly trivial to make enough food to be equal to my character in a day, and take less than a week to shove it into a character. Don't use me as an example for grinding xd
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby overtyped » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:35 am

wonder-ass wrote:permanent world will never work with the inherent flaw of stat/quality snowballing.

That's because your perspective is to compete with others. The perspective I have is that I don't care if there are characters with 10 million stat points roaming around at the beginning of the world. What does it matter how strong others are or what they are doing when you'll probably never meet them? This super hardcore mentality is why you have no issues with the world being wiped, while I wonder if the players who quit due to an incoming wipe of the world and their characters would agree?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:03 am

overtyped wrote:I wonder if the players who quit due to an incoming wipe of the world and their characters would agree?

I think that anyone that would quit from a wipe would also quit were their entire beautiful rp base flattened by a demigod.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby overtyped » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:50 am

Apocoreo wrote:
overtyped wrote:I wonder if the players who quit due to an incoming wipe of the world and their characters would agree?

I think that anyone that would quit from a wipe would also quit were their entire beautiful rp base flattened by a demigod.

Palibashing not in the game anymore, and their strength doesn't matter since even 2 weeks in your average rping hermit would be miles behind small villages let alone the bigger guys. That rper could get his base wiped on day 5 by a big faction, so what does it matter if he's crushed by someone who is 100x stronger vs someone who is 100000000x stronger? Wipes do not put you on the same footing, never has.
overtyped

Postby vatas » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:47 am

titans are going to be stronger than hermits anyway, so lets let them have their old titans from previous world so newbies can't even try* to compete.

*Admittedly "try" is the keyword here, this world (w12) my group actually had competitive qualities during first month but started to fall off rapidly as we basically stalled (there weren't that many of us and several had IRL obligations) while factions kept snowballing.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:29 pm

We even have seen a change in the "winners" of last world to this one. It's about the opportunity to get ahead.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby overtyped » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:49 pm

Apocoreo wrote:We even have seen a change in the "winners" of last world to this one. It's about the opportunity to get ahead.

It's not about winning.
overtyped

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:19 am

winning in a sandbox game that has no end kekw
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Apocoreo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:10 pm

The quotes were there for a reason, I was referring to the titans that were still active come world's end. The people that won every Meteor raid, that belong to the largest realm, whatever metric you want.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas