When the PvE server will come?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

When the PvE server will come?

Postby vanghern » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:43 pm

I'm pretty sure, you've discussed it before. Is there any dev statement about this? Many players wait for such creation with prolonged wipe time (or ethernal world) on the bigger map.
vanghern

Re: When the PvE server will come?

Postby Fostik » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:00 pm

PvE server will never be a thing, here you can read devs position:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44710
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby shubla » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:15 am

Fostik wrote:PvE server will never be a thing, here you can read devs position:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... 40&t=44710

Especially the latter list by loftar is a bad list.

Do I really have to spell it out for you? My point is this: What do you do on a non-PvP server when someone:
Starts building a village idol to claim the land around you;

If he got more stats than you, you can do nothing about him, if you go outside he will immediately KO you, and after few consequent KO's you will die.

Takes ten alts to block the exit of your palisade gate;

If they are fresh spawn alts, you can maybe kill them. But likely it is a trap, and if you attack them, he will come with his fighter and kill you, as you now cannot get inside your palisade back to the safety.

Builds a palisade around your claim;

Same as above, it is enough for him to guard it with alt that alarms fighters when you try to break it.

Plants a tight forest all around you, or conversely, cuts down all the trees around you;

Not much you can do if he is really determined. If he is not stronger than you, you can kill him a few times, but you will never be able to defend your trees 24/7, finding out who is behind it etc. etc. is impossible if done properly. The reason why this often doesnt happen in the game currently is not because of PVP, but because its very tedious to chop down large forests, even with bots its quite a chore.

Simply stands in your way;

Runs away with the carcass of the animal you just killed; or
Just decides to settle down next to you while you don't like him?

Same as above, if you are weaker than him, you can do 0 things. Only options are pretty much to quit the game or move to some far away place and hope that he doesnt ever find you.

So actually every single one of loftars arguments are based on the assumption that both parties have equivalent amount of power. But how often does that actually happen? Never. The other party will pretty much always be stronger than the other when you play this game.

Only way in this game to beat somebody who is stronger than you is via OOC methods, like trying to get in his close circle and then backstabbing, or then just keylogging him, sending him links to find out his IP and then DOS him so he cannot fight back etc. etc. Some of these methods are illegal, some very disrespectable, but in the other hand, is the stronger one using his power on the weaker one any more without mercy any more respectable.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby boreial » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:19 am

all good points HOWEVER we are talking about a NON PVP server so there IS NO killing or fighting other players, An Ideal non pvp would not allow the targeting of other players, including no damage taken by incidentals such as shooting a bow at an animal behind a character would not damage said character the worst you could maybe do is PUSH them . as for a V-Claim over a p_claim then the check should be whether the v-claim is allowed to cover an existing p-claim, perhaps requiring that the p-claim gives permission OR accepts some sort of agreement before the v-claim idol can be built.
boreial

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:31 am

pve server will be up next year on feb 2 2021.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby vanghern » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:09 pm

wonder-ass wrote:pve server will be up next year on feb 2 2021.

You assume that, or...?

Fostik wrote:PvE server will never be a thing, here you can read devs position:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44710

I saw that post. On the main post, there is more beautiful, Shakespeare english, than actual informations, but Loftar seems to stands his ground (for some reason). As for the list - it's silly. I mean it's justified if you think from current HnH character perspective, but when you think as a dev, outside the box, many of these problems are solvable.

and this:

Loftar wrote:The H&H game world attempts -- to no small an extent -- to simulate events and processes of the real world in a digitalized form

I love this quotation. While it might be true during planning process, the effect is far from a simulation :p I mean, for real:
    1. We have magic
    2. In theory, you can have infinite amount of statistics like str or intelligence, when you compare a player with 10 str to a player with 1500 str, what do you really simulate? :p
    3. You can set permissions to area of land, where you've built stone/bone totem and "painted" ground red (purple?), others can't do shit about that, unless they are criminals or your friends
and many, maaaany others

I mean, this game is really immersive and I love it, but it's quite far from real world simulation :p

Having a PvE server would allow players to focus on economy, politics, gathering, building and expanding lands, instead of fighting each other. On the other hand, there could be faster PvP server, when all study/grow/other times are like halved or reduced to 25%, so ppl can grow fast and fight each other. I believe it would satisfy everyone.

Heck, I could buy a license to host a PvE server, if devs don't want :p
vanghern

Postby Rebs » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:57 pm

I Stand by the Devs.

PvE doesn't make sense at all. and all of you would be pissed off with griefers. Just look at Minecraft PVE servers the amount of Mods that have to be active to deal with griefers is insane.
and you can 100% guarantee that pvpers will join the pve world just to fuck with you all.

Haven isn't a "Build a nice little village and peaceful and happy forever" game
its a "Harsh survival sandbox pvp" you should Expect to build multiple characters/bases. and tbf if you were left alone you would run out of content within a month and quit anyway.
Rebs

Postby shubla » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:56 am

To make clear: my previous post was not supporting pve server, but trying to point out why current pvp system is not fulfilling those points listed by loftar.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Mac70 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:58 am

A bit of a necro post, but I feel it makes more sense to revive already existing thread with the same topic than to make new exact same topic and there don't seem to be a rule against it.

I think HaH wastes lots of potential by not introducing PvE server - HaH core mechanics would be excellent for a pure PvE game experience, and many people who would like mechanics of HaH don't play or quickly bounce out of the game due to forced PvP and world resets.

When it comes to Loftar's points from previously mentioned thread about what to do on PvE when someone does things:

Starts building a village idol to claim the land around you;

Two simple solutions here - either make people pay for creating and maintaining villages like some games similar to HaH do, or introduce large zone around the village in which no new villages can be created, but existing villages can still expand.

Takes ten alts to block the exit of your palisade gate;

Just removing collisions between players on PvE would be sufficient to make this a non-issue.

Builds a palisade around your claim;

Have a GM come and remove said palisade and give warning/ban to offending player. PvE communities tend to be on average way less attracted to griefing than PvP communities, so it wouldn't really be a big issue especially considering time investment required to grief someone in such manner.

Plants a tight forest all around you, or conversely, cuts down all the trees around you;

I don't see an issue here. It's always possible to fence off/claim area of forest if you want to preserve it.

Simply stands in your way;

If in literal sense, removing collisions as mentioned above makes it a non-issue. If we expand definition of "stands in your way" to griefing, that's what GM's are for.

Runs away with the carcass of the animal you just killed;

Secure results of any actions (killed animals, cut down trees etc.) to be interactable only by your trusted friends/village members for a short time like 1-5 minutes.

Just decides to settle down next to you while you don't like him?

Well, deal with it I guess.
Mac70

Postby vatas » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:35 am

What about when someone makes dozen alts and places them in spots where you want to build something? I'd assume they would still block construction on the space they're occupying.

To be honest, I kind of want to see PvE server experiment with adjustments (including but not limited to) pointed out in above post. Preferably deployed during midpoint of the main/PvP world's lifespan to minimize interference from them to each other.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas