Catch-up Mechanics and Quality Progression

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Catch-up Mechanics and Quality Progression

Postby Clemence » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:55 am

In old world there is a lots of abandoned farm so crop quality is not an issue, or you will always find a neigbour to give you some seeds.
Clemence

Postby telas » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:46 am

Clemence wrote:In old world there is a lots of abandoned farm so crop quality is not an issue, or you will always find a neigbour to give you some seeds.
true, thats what i was going to say. i start late this world, but dont start from 0, i raided some abandoned places and i found some good shit to start. because of this I'm pretty sure that im going to suck at the start of the next new world :lol:
telas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:59 pm

The seeds you guys got from market or abandoned bases are trash compared to what other people have. The seeds people are willing to share will progressively get worse compared to topQ, because anybody willing go through the autism of crop circles is willing to destroy/alt vault their crops when they're going to quit/take a break, and a dozen tokens or whatever will not at all be inciting for them.

Fostik wrote:Sounds weird to me, to call any credo bonus that makes game more conventient, and bursts your progression game breaking

90% of the credo bonuses listed aren't in any way convenience, they're just percentile quality bonuses, and earlier access to low cave levels & high survival. IDK how you can equate having to put in the same base effort in material gathering, more effort for softcaps, and doing an arbitrary task to get a percentile bonus to have parity with other players as convenience. That's, like, the opposite of convenience...

Fostik wrote:The only thing that really should be fixed - is credo influence on PvP

If my metal is like 40% higher quality than yours, my food gives more FEPs, I make more food is made per same effort, and I can trade for bulk character progression goods more easily because of credos that has a way bigger effect than 10% swim speed or whatever.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:If my metal is like 40% higher quality than yours, my food gives more FEPs, I make more food is made per same effort, and I can trade for bulk character progression goods more easily because of credos that has a way bigger effect than 10% swim speed or whatever.

"The side with better economy wins" -some Europa Universalis 4 guide.

In Haven this applies even more clearly, as nations like Prussia gain omnipresent army buffs that can mitigate being rather heavily outnumbered, but closest thing to "army buff" in Haven is having better quality equipment than enemy and that's 100% economy.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Fostik » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:25 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:If my metal is like 40% higher quality than yours, my food gives more FEPs, I make more food is made per same effort, and I can trade for bulk character progression goods more easily because of credos that has a way bigger effect than 10% swim speed or whatever.

And at the same time I always hear that skill and ping has bigger role than stats and gear.
If this thing will only affect fights when all other more important things are equaled, should it be so overrated?
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby iamahh » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:49 pm

thanks to markets I upgraded my turnip and flax insanely beyond my cap... it's not top tier, but I'm not fighting any players with my 220ms connection in my old machine with a residual Amber mod... there's other games to scratch the pvp itch... Haven is best for exploring the vastness, growing stuff, creating cozy locations, and will get better with custom buildings
iamahh

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:24 pm

Fostik wrote:

And at the same time I always hear that skill and ping has bigger role than stats and gear.
If this thing will only affect fights when all other more important things are equaled, should it be so overrated?

skill = high stats and gear no skill = shit stats and shit gear. skill is everything not just knowing how to pvp. to get good at pvp you first have to understand how to play the game.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:03 pm

wonder-ass wrote:skill = high stats and gear no skill = shit stats and shit gear. skill is everything not just knowing how to pvp. to get good at pvp you first have to understand how to play the game.

Hasn't this been one of the complaints of some of the "old school" players (pre-world 8) about the combat system? I seem to recall at least one or two videos of guys taking on people that had double their stats while wearing no or little gear (other than sword, maybe basic leather?). Knowledge of the system then was worth more than gearing up. Now, because of the openings mechanic, you need to both know the system and be geared up (equipment and stats).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:42 pm

I think the group of people that just enjoy casually grinding quality and having nice things is larger than the group of people who will ever participate in real combat. Likewise, I think there are more casual players that grind fighting stats without any intention to ever PVP than actual PVPers. Everybody has a fighting alt until the moment somebody wants to fight.

I like the quality system irrespective of balance. I like that people who put in more effort have nicer things. However, I think a system that absolutely requires you do something in game every few hours, or all of your future and past efforts will have been wasted because your flax/turnips are trash is extremely unfun & hostile to casual/new players.

I bet the world would feel less stale if somebody could randomly decide 6-12 months into the world they wanna get max quality stuff and become a trader, or push their anvil higher than than anybody else's just 'cause they like mining & metal industry. Combat balance doesn't even need to be in the equation for it to make sense that there be catchup mechanics for quality. And hey, maybe if people don't feel so much like they're at a big disadvantage they'll want to engage in PVP more.

https://youtu.be/RDxiuHdR_T4?t=118
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:52 pm

I don't like larping, I don't like roleplay-walking around my base, I don't like farming all of the useless crops for the sake of having all of the useless crops. I don't like not wearing armor, I don't like being weaker than a boar.
I enjoy other parts of this game. I enjoy actually playing this game.
But you know what I despise in this game? The need to play it for 25 hours a day and use 50 bots for 50 annoying things that require non-stop attendance. And don't you dare tell me "yOu dOn'T hAvE tO pLaY tHe gAmE lIkE tHaT", while you cry when you get sieged by a single hearthling.

Catch-up mechanics? a great idea.
People saying it's a bad idea? It literally won't affect your roleplay farmville base, so why do you care? If anything, it should give you a chance to enjoy other things in this game, should you want to. It should give you a chance to be relevant. If you upgraded your q50 seeds to q200 from a market, when bots have q500, you haven't fixed the problem.

SnuggleSnail wrote:I bet the world would feel less stale if somebody could randomly decide 6-12 months into the world they wanna get max quality stuff and become a trader, or push their anvil higher than than anybody else's just 'cause they like mining & metal industry. Combat balance doesn't even need to be in the equation for it to make sense that there be catchup mechanics for quality. And hey, maybe if people don't feel so much like they're at a big disadvantage they'll want to engage in PVP more.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas