A Yoeman's Idea for World Cycling

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

A Yoeman's Idea for World Cycling

Postby cellites » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:28 am

So I've been thinking about this for a while and I have what I believe to be a solid method to remove the burnout felt be so many players.
To put it simply I believe that the game is in need of additional servers, each of these servers would then be active simultaneously but would be reset at different times. Using four servers as an example: All four servers would be brought online at the same time and would precede to run for two in-game years, once this time had elapsed one of the servers would restart. This pattern would continue cycling through the servers, meaning that by the end of the cycle each server would run for eight in-game years before restarting.This also means there would always be a world which was less then two years old at all times, meaning that players who enjoy early game can cycle with the worlds and those who enjoy later game can continue on.
I have given this a good deal of thought but I am far from the most knowledgeable when it comes to the inner workings of the game, as such I would encourage those of you who are more knowledgeable then myself to give critique.
cellites

Re: A Yoeman's Idea for World Cycling

Postby overtyped » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:52 am

playerbase is too small to split it.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:58 pm

cellites wrote:I have given this a good deal of thought but I am far from the most knowledgeable when it comes to the inner workings of the game, as such I would encourage those of you who are more knowledgeable then myself to give critique.

My suggestion is to do a bit more research on the matter if you'd like to know the general opinion of those active on the forum. This is a 10 year old game, after all, and these sorts of ideas comes up constantly. I'd like to point you to a single place to look this up, but it's a rough conversation that is spread out over time and multiple threads.

As an FYI, the average lifespan of a world is around 10 months, not two years. We've had three worlds last that long, two of those (world 6, 7) were because of commitments to another project by the devs (Salem the Game, now managed by Mortal Moments). (Not really sure why world 10 ran about two years, but was no reason to do a world reset, either.)

cellites wrote:To put it simply I believe that the game is in need of additional servers, each of these servers would then be active simultaneously but would be reset at different times.

Jorb has expressed in the past that he'd like to see a persistent game world. At that time, if there is the player base for it, multiple servers do become necessary. How that is managed, it's hard to say. Could be like most other MMOs and it's just multiple shards, could be like a very few other games where everyone is in the same universe, just spread out a lot.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby cellites » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:49 pm

overtyped wrote:playerbase is too small to split it.

The playerbase now numbers in the four digits, and this suggestion is intended to encourage the players who enjoy the game to keep playing longer.
cellites

Postby cellites » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:01 pm

MagicManICT wrote:As an FYI, the average lifespan of a world is around 10 months, not two years. We've had three worlds last that long, two of those (world 6, 7) were because of commitments to another project by the devs (Salem the Game, now managed by Mortal Moments). (Not really sure why world 10 ran about two years, but was no reason to do a world reset, either.)

In-game years not irl years. This would mean that the full life of a server would be one year and four months in this example, but this would also mean that new players would have a relatively new world to jump into at any given time.
cellites

Postby overtyped » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:05 am

I had an idea, not sure how good this would be, but, what about having 1 world that persists and never wipes, and then every 6 months portals pop up in the main world, and inside them is a small temporary world that lasts 6 months.

You can only create a character in that world, and you cannot bring stuff from the main world into the temporary world, but you can send stuff from the temporary world back to the main world. This would scratch the itch of people that want new worlds, and placate the people who just want to live in a persistent non-wiping world. No matter how op characters get in the main world, you can always stand on even footing in the new one.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Enjoyment » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:36 am

hmm... I'm kinda surprised this topic is still not merged with "The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic" one. That creates a funny moment - seems like some ppl are allowed to post their thoughts as a separate thread, while others should stay within the rules. I'm curious about how it is divided?
Also, don't forget that devs stated, that world wipes are done on necessary of gamebreaking changes or map generation rule, not on players demand s (well, at least all the wipes before the last one, where snail just asked to reboot the same world, so he can bot it from scratch), so you can't have a persistent world anyway, and having a cycling world and the "persistent" world that would wipe occasionally anyway won't work.
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Return to Critique & Ideas