More reasonable serving sizes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

More reasonable serving sizes

Postby Liss12 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Right now hearthlings eats whole pie in one go and need 10+ dishes per day so you need literal battery of ovens to satisfy needs of even tiny 3 ppl village. It doesn't make much sense and makes cooking quite tiresome job. Perhaps we could make pies and other baked goods splittable on slices/portions (just like pumpkins) where each slice being independent dish? I really wish cooking would take less number of independent operations.
Liss12

Re: More reasonable serving sizes

Postby Finigini » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:50 am

It is comical how much Hearthlings eat, for sure. I'm not sure how people feel but I am under the impression that people who develop their characters competitively would like to eat what they want, when they want. Maybe a middle ground could be reached where food gives significantly more stats but also significantly more hunger. If we made food give more hunger it should also give more energy. The upside to these changes is that people won't have to cook so much food, a possible downside is that some people might enjoy the gameplay of crafting loads of food and stuffing their faces.
Finigini

Postby iamahh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:57 am

instead of creating multiple art assets, each food could have a number of "servings", so when you click to feast it would simply reduce the number until is gone
iamahh

Postby Liss12 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:08 pm

iamahh wrote:instead of creating multiple art assets, each food could have a number of "servings", so when you click to feast it would simply reduce the number until is gone

Brilliant! Fine suggestion pal.
Liss12

Postby vatas » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:11 pm

iamahh wrote:instead of creating multiple art assets, each food could have a number of "servings", so when you click to feast it would simply reduce the number until is gone

That could work.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Fostik » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 am

Cant wait devs announcement:
For a fair price of ruining mechanics of food sinks and character attributes development, we decided to make food serving portions more realistic, just because someone admitted it.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Enjoyment » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:21 am

Fostik wrote:Cant wait devs announcement:
For a fair price of ruining mechanics of food sinks and character attributes development, we decided to make food serving portions more realistic, just because someone admitted it.

well, since devs care only for a small "pvp-gods" group happiness, and those would really like the idea of eating 1 food instead of 100, that's sound pretty realistic
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby Liss12 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:55 pm

You missed the point completely. My idea was to make cooks life easier by making cooking in bulk less tideous. I literally dropped the game this world because of how annoying and exhausting cooking is when you are cooking for a whole village. Im aint asking to rebalance food and stat growth, obviously, if we are able to "eat" each pie 8 times it would require x8 ingridients to make.
Liss12

Postby Finigini » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:57 am

Liss12 wrote:

You missed the point completely. My idea was to make cooks life easier by making cooking in bulk less tideous. I literally dropped the game this world because of how annoying and exhausting cooking is when you are cooking for a whole village. Im aint asking to rebalance food and stat growth, obviously, if we are able to "eat" each pie 8 times it would require x8 ingridients to make.

Honestly the majority of mechanics in this game are like this because "grinding is fun", and usually it is. The sheer volume of food and curios we are compelled to craft to try and be optimal can definitely reach levels of tedium tm. I feel like the hunger system is meant to be both a catchup mechanic and a way to limit endless grinding, but tables make hunger almost non-existent.
Finigini

Return to Critique & Ideas