Spelunking/Cave mapping

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Spelunking/Cave mapping

Postby gl2 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:17 am

At now, we have very unrealistic map, when underground.

We can see through cave walls and map neighbor passes/tunnels, that not connected to our current tunnel system.

The idea is to make mapping in cave more realistic: map only visible part of cave (at least only cave you are in now, not cave behind stone wall)

This will made cave exploring more fun.
You will need visit all cave offshoots, to map it all.
You can mine tunnel and get into new cave system (or neighbor mine shaft :)) accidentally.

As addition, Miner or Cave Hermit (or both, but at different degree) can have new feature - Feel Earth - that let him detect nearby tunnels through walls (at radius determined by PER, for example).
Not map new cave (it will be to simple), but have knowledge about it existence in that direction.

P.S.

Yet one cave improvement idea:

Also, it will be great if caves will have natural connections between levels. May be as crack/vertical tunnels that allow go down to next level cave system (if it exist below) without mine hole.
To make things more reallike, use ropes to descend, and it will take some time (> 1 min with hourglass). And build mine hole upon this natural passage will cost less, than standart.
Ascent vertical crack without already mounted from upper level ropes, will need dangerous climb, with high possibility of fall and health damage.

More fun to cave exploration!

(I have some real spelunking experience :) )

(Sorry for my bad english)
Last edited by gl2 on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
gl2

Re: Spelunking/Cave mapping

Postby shubla » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:06 am

Great idea, will surely require some work with minimap etc. to allow combining caves etc.

Although, one could argue that how can we see behind trees, rocks, cliffs etc. above ground.

But underground it would be more logical not to see tunnels without connection to it on the map.

Some questions also arise, like is it enough to have any connection to some cave (even if you have not discovered this connection yet) to see it? Or should you personally have discovered a route to the cave etc.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Spelunking/Cave mapping

Postby Finigini » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:55 am

I feel like something like this would require the game to render the world differently. There was a similar problem involved with ideas about cave darkness. I like the idea though.
Finigini

Return to Critique & Ideas