allow item repetition in hotkey toolbars

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

allow item repetition in hotkey toolbars

Postby iamahh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:48 pm

if you add waterskin to "Alt+1" toolbar, you can't add it to "Alt+2" without messing the first one

allowing repetition would make it easier to setup toolbars for different activities, mining, farming, exploring...

(extra features: up/down arrows to cycle through, and adding toggle buttons if doable)
Last edited by iamahh on Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamahh

Re: allow item repetition in hotkey toolbars

Postby shubla » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Arrows would be cool, most people don't even know that there are multiple toolbars on the default client!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby vatas » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:20 pm

shubla wrote:Arrows would be cool, most people don't even know that there are multiple toolbars on the default client!

There are multiple toolbars on the default client?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:01 pm

vatas wrote:
shubla wrote:Arrows would be cool, most people don't even know that there are multiple toolbars on the default client!

There are multiple toolbars on the default client?

Yep.
Default toolbar is Alt+1
Others are Alt+[2..0]

(now where did I leave that action-bar feature-idea mock up image ...)
Found it:
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 pm

vatas wrote:There are multiple toolbars on the default client?

Alt + [num] is pretty much the 'standard' in MMOs for hotbar switching. At least, I haven't played one that has a different key combo. (I probably have, but it was more likely than not "ctrl + num.")

Should be mandatory that this be there just for the visual prompt, even if they don't do anything (though that would also be an issue, but at least it would be a visual clue).

mvgulik wrote:(now where did I leave that action-bar feature-idea mock up image ...)

Wasn't that a bit of sarcasm when you posted it a while back? Would be useful for setting up hotbars.

iamahh wrote:if you add waterskin to "Alt+1" toolbar, you can't add it to "Alt+2" without messing the first one

allowing repetition would make it easier to setup toolbars for different activities, mining, farming, exploring...

I'm not even sure why it is this way. You have to explicitly remove the representation in code when it's done this way. Maybe that was a thing from WoW or something that irked jorb or loftar--having to manually delete an action from a hotbar after assigning it to a new place?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:15 am

MagicManICT wrote:Wasn't that a bit of sarcasm when you posted it a while back? Would be useful for setting up hotbars.

Sarcasm: Towards priorities habits (game development) of dev's, yep.
Setting up hotbars: Yea, that was one of the general ideas behind it.
mvgulik

Return to Critique & Ideas