Additions I'd Love to see with Alchemy

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Additions I'd Love to see with Alchemy

Postby Austinh15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Just some things that I'd find helpful after spending quite a bit of time using alchemy. I hope this doesn't count as a grab bag thread, as I think it's about a specific topic.

1. Labelling potions.
I believe that quick hovering over a potion gives relatively little to no info. For quick ease of access, one could LABEL their potions specific names, similar to wrapping and naming a gift box, that will TELL them after a quick hover what the
potion does!

2. Potion Satchel.
I'd like to see some kind of side storage similar to the creel that is designed to carry potions around. Whenever my friends and I go on an adventure together I like to bring potions along in case someone gets hurt!

3. Larger doses.
One of the annoying things about treating a wound with a potion is repeatedly having to watch the timer and consume the potion every time.
For example: I have 40 Punch Sore, and I have an elixir that heals 20 per dose. It'd be nice to consume both doses at once. In attempts to balance, you could extend the timer for the potion, as to not allow for the consumption of another potion. I think this would make combat potions more viable as well. I've seen most fights between players vary greatly in time, and the fact that you can't consume another potion halfway through a battle due to combat limitations make the potions silly to bring in the first place, let alone the 2-factor combat balances from W12 start. I believe that potion consumption needs to be looked at just a tad bit more! Maybe at a limit to how many can be consumed at one time, just to prevent HUGE stacking of potions. (AKA +60 Unarmed and 40 doses of the same potion). Also, the Longer and Shorter Duration properties would still play a part here, as the increase of time would be additive based on the dose's time.

Overall I like Alchemy, which from reading the H&H discord might be somewhat of a hot take. I enjoy learning how to cure things and make useful potions! I can temporarily boost someone's skills or attributes by 60+! I heal concussions and nasty lacerations at an incredible speed compared to the default. Combining alchemy with traditional medicine makes this even better! Throw in a good bed and you'll be ready to go in a few hours. Alchemy has opened the door to Quicksilver items for those who can't compete for Ancient Roots in their area. Toad Butter isn't as annoying anymore as you can cure Nasty Warts fairly easily. I can even cure Nerve Damage (Though this one takes like 50 god damn years to fix and some potions can convert to Nerve Damage which is just dandy, love turning my unfaced into paralysis and wheelchair for life). Yes there has been updates after Alchemy's release that have shifted things and made me have to relearn certain aspects of the system, but in it's current state I do enjoy the profession. Let me know what you think about the three suggestions above!
Austinh15

Re: Additions I'd Love to see with Alchemy

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Just some things that I'd find helpful after spending quite a bit of time using alchemy. I hope this doesn't count as a grab bag thread, as I think it's about a specific topic.

1. Remove alchemy
Zentetsuken

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:Just some things that I'd find helpful after spending quite a bit of time using alchemy. I hope this doesn't count as a grab bag thread, as I think it's about a specific topic.

1. Remove alchemy

Much like credos, you don't have to interact with alchemy if you don't want to. The good news is... you don't have to do alchemy, just know someone that does. Feed their addition to science.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Austinh15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm

See the thing is, Alchemy isn't really REQUIRED to play the game. Credos are a big deal, but there is obvious gripes about the system. Do you have an actual reason for Alchemy's removal or are you just fuckin with me? Either is fine! Just trying to get a grasp as to exactly why Alchemy is hated (The Bum Burn cure was hilariously OP from what I heard, but that's gone.)
Austinh15

Postby ctopolon4 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 am

test all 222ingridiends after new wounds added... GFUS with that....
heal 1 nerveDMG or BumBurrn in 2 days... better found 1 heal root instead do 1kg of lye (not wait 20d to heal 10)
ctopolon4

Postby Austinh15 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Okay so I completely understand how you feel. When Bird Lung was added they completely messed up the implementation. I spoke with Jorb about this and he agreed that it did not go as intended, only some ingredients were meant to be changed. That being said, I believe and update later on talked of how they redid the system for adding in wounds to not fuck with alchemy AS much. It still will but, perhaps not as much? I also agree that certain wounds are INCREDIBLY hard to heal with alchemy, but perhaps this gives Ancient Root a purpose?
Austinh15

Postby ctopolon4 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 pm

Austinh15 wrote:but perhaps this gives Ancient Root a purpose?

still needs purpose to alchemy. now its only huge time waster
ctopolon4

Postby iamahh » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 pm

alchemy larping potential is through the roof

fools will be counting numbers with their spreadsheets and then call it a fun time

i can't even tell my tools ql anymore tbh
iamahh

Postby Austinh15 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:17 am

ctopolon4 wrote:
Austinh15 wrote:but perhaps this gives Ancient Root a purpose?

still needs purpose to alchemy. now its only huge time waster

I mean, you're saying that Alchemy is a time waster and I'm saying that it heals most normal wounds very quickly AND can be used along normal medicine. I'm failing to see where that means it's inherently useless. All I'm reading so far is that it's too much work without enough payoff, or perhaps it has too much tedium to it, but I literally pull potions out of my ass now. It also gives me another thing to use decaying brimstone on, which by late world its about as abundant as spruce boughs on spruce trees.

iamahh wrote:alchemy larping potential is through the roof

fools will be counting numbers with their spreadsheets and then call it a fun time

i can't even tell my tools ql anymore tbh

Yeah it is. Frankly it's fun to run around helping people and healing them up. I'm not sure how tool ql comes into this but I'm probably missing the point so I'm sorry! If you even care, I'd love to hear your point in more detail. :)
Austinh15

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:36 am

Feels like making fun of alchemy has just become a meme for those that don't actually use it. Its nice having anything short of bum burn healed overnight without having to fuck with roots. Shame any productive discussion seems to get derailed with "it bad".

+1
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas