More realistic snowfall.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

More realistic snowfall.

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 pm

I don't know what wackass snowfall y'all have in Sweden but in Canada we basically wake up some October morning to discover Mother Nature took a big white dump over everything. Sometimes it's still going with blowing snow. Snow's really start-and-stop, at least on the east coast and the prairies in my experience.

This winter in Haven on our stoat hunt we discovered the snowfall wasn't complete even on the final days of winter. For that reason I'd like to suggest a change to how snow falls. At the first of winter, snow spawns rapidly over the course of 24 hours, then stops spawning. Perhaps another series of spawns - another similar snowfall - could occur halfway through winter or even more if winter is eventually lengthened.

This serves three purposes to improve winter:
1. Kicksleds work unimpeded by "unsnowed" ground throughout the season
2. Rather than needing to plow daily to keep the streets clean, you plow once and it stays clear for days. Then you wake one morning to find a blizzard fell overnight and now you have FOUR BILLION POUNDS OF HEAVY COLD WHITE BULLSHIT ALL OVER YOUR DRIVEWAY ROAD
3. The game and minimap doesn't look like Frosty the Snowman spread "himself" randomly around, at least at not for long

The snow melting unevenly is kinda accurate though. The last surviving snow is always these ugly ass piles of brown, dirt filled snow.

As a "stretch goal" Maybe some effect when it's snowing would be cool, like tiny snowflakes falling on either side of the screen. Overtyped posted a screenshot of some game I've never played called Albion, it has this smoke/mist at the edge of the screen that looks better than our void. During a snowfall if we could have a white effect like that that would be cool. If it can be done, maybe grey smoke could be used the rest of the time, whatwith How much Haven uses fire as a theme. Could pave the way for future beautification, like orange mist during a sunset, pale blue during a full moon, dark blue in the day to look sorta like rainfall.

i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Re: More realistic snowfall.

Postby vatas » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:51 am

The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: More realistic snowfall.

Postby Apocoreo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Great minds, sorry I didn't notice it. Mods can merge this into yours if nessesary.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Return to Critique & Ideas