Cellar (bad ... something). - FIXED

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Cellar (bad ... something). - FIXED

Postby mvgulik » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Thought I already posted about this, but could not find it, ergo ...

(using default tile-centered placement)
Last edited by mvgulik on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Re: Cellar (bad ... something).

Postby Godganesh » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:31 pm

mvgulik wrote:Thought I already posted about this, but could not find it, ergo ...

(using default tile-centered placement)

in the Ard client everything is ok
Godganesh

Postby Lalaxx » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:00 pm

i think he means cellar hitbox
it doesn't matter much tho.
Lalaxx

Postby mvgulik » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:30 am

Lalaxx wrote:it doesn't matter much tho.

I see it more as a general QA matter, and it should be relative easy to fix (if they wish to do so).
Unfortunately, of course, there is the def's view that although there is some hitbox data in the res files, they do not give a guaranty there being correct.
Last edited by mvgulik on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
mvgulik

Postby Phaen » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:41 am

I'm surprised it even has a hitbox since you can't collide with it. Does it affect anything else?

Does it affect cupboard placement? I would be surprised if it did
Phaen

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:11 am

Phaen wrote:I'm surprised it even has a hitbox since you can't collide with it. Does it affect anything else?

3D objects, in general, have bounding boxes of some sort. They can be used in all sorts of ways--object culling (rendering), collision detection, placement in the world, and 'picking' algorithms to name a few. There's all kinds of programming tricks that can be used with bounding boxes.

Moderator note: off topic replies trimmed. Bugs are bugs whether they are trivial things that don't have much priority or major exploits that should be fixed yesterday.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby BoxingRock » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:59 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Phaen wrote:I'm surprised it even has a hitbox since you can't collide with it. Does it affect anything else?

3D objects, in general, have bounding boxes of some sort. They can be used in all sorts of ways--object culling (rendering), collision detection, placement in the world, and 'picking' algorithms to name a few. There's all kinds of programming tricks that can be used with bounding boxes.

Moderator note: off topic replies trimmed. Bugs are bugs whether they are trivial things that don't have much priority or major exploits that should be fixed yesterday.

If it's so trivial that you consider it a minor non-priority bug why didn't you move it to Bugs instead of snipping completely relevant ontopic discussion?

I understand snipping shit-talk, but the discussion in question here was about the validity and usefulness of the suggestion, which is exactly what we are meant to discuss in this subforum.

Perhaps you thought you were in the Bugs subforum? In which case I would understand.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby vatas » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:09 am

I was thinking the bounding box has something to do with entering the cellar, most likely you need to go to center of it to trigger going (effectively teleporting) in front of the stairs in the cellar.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:14 pm

> most likely you need to go to center of it to trigger going (effectively teleporting)

The cellar door also include a little enforced path the heartling is made to walk before committing the teleporting. (normally you don't see this little walk, as its a fast game-server thing).
If the heartling is blocked by something during this little walk/scan, like a cupboard that's to close, its a fail (ergo: no teleporting)
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:59 pm

BoxingRock wrote:Perhaps you thought you were in the Bugs subforum? In which case I would understand.

Yes, for some reason I did think this was in Bugs, but it was still off topic. Leave it to jorb and loftar to decide what is minor, major, and critical.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure if this should be more specific to client mods (in Wizards' Tower) rather than in general discussion. From what I can tell from the image, the placement might be off by a pixel (which could simply be the grid lines being drawn a pixel off), the bounding box as drawn in Amber or Ender (I'm guessing?) has never been "perfectly correct" to the object on anything. That might be due to something in the resource files as loftar has them implemented (referencing a recent issue reported to the display of bounding boxes in Ender's client). Unless it didn't get added to patch notes (or I overlooked it), loftar hasn't added bounding boxes or grid lines yet.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas