Tool Durability Sucks

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Tool Durability Sucks

Postby shubla » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:28 pm

These players don't know what they want.
If the game is too easy there is no feeling of achievement in anything.

More material sinks simply are needed and the aforementioned thing about tools costing the same for small hermits and large villages, no matter how much they're being used, is an issue.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 pm

If industry were too easy it wouldn't be the case that people can maintain absolute monopolies on quality months after they quit. I've been inside your village, Shubla. It's very clear that industry is not too easy for you.

In this thread you will say "make this thing arbitrarily harder in a way good players will completely circumvent", and in another thread you will say "but won't you think of the nabs?!" Make up your mind.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 pm

shubla wrote:why?
Wouldn't it be nice as it would add more value to high quality materials and increase trade?
It's quite dumb that large villages that craft 1000 things a day pay same cost for tools as smaller hermits who seldom use them.

i agree haha! normally hermits would only buy new tools when they get too outdated now theyll have to frequently buy more from us bcs they keep breaking! more tokens for us.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby cherryquartz » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 pm

shubla wrote:why?
Wouldn't it be nice as it would add more value to high quality materials and increase trade?
It's quite dumb that large villages that craft 1000 things a day pay same cost for tools as smaller hermits who seldom use them.

I can just imagine irl, walking into a shop and saying 'this dude has more friends than me, can i have this item cheaper cos its not fair?'. Grow up!
cherryquartz

Postby terechgracz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:00 pm

It would be funnier to have durability so i would need to repair my pickaxe now and then.
terechgracz

Postby Fostik » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:34 pm

terechgracz wrote:It would be funnier to have durability so i would need to repair my pickaxe now and then.

Just post your coords here on forum, many like-minded people will help you to find a lot of stuff and buildings to be rebuild or repaired, no need to wait for mechanic.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Daefae33 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:57 pm

terechgracz wrote:It would be funnier to have durability so i would need to repair my pickaxe now and then.

On this train. It also provides a resource sink for higher Q metal.
Daefae33

Postby Sevenless » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:55 pm

Daefae33 wrote:

That's kind of the point of this post though. A sink for high end resources is often requested in some shape or another, but tool durability as a source of it is a very annoying mechanic. It's a real pickle.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Rebs » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:10 pm

I am torn on this..
I like the idea of adding some sort of Quality maintenance. Having a tool break means you will choose wisely what Q you are mining/chopping etc.. and there is that risk of downgrading if you can't find the same Q again.
However, I doubt this will end up being the case and it will just feel more like a sink for the sack of there being a sink.
Rebs

Postby Daefae33 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:16 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Daefae33 wrote:

That's kind of the point of this post though. A sink for high end resources is often requested in some shape or another, but tool durability as a source of it is a very annoying mechanic. It's a real pickle.

I'm firmly of the opinion that this should be solidly tied to steady decay of quality as well. The best tools should not stay the best, they should require lossy reforging/recreation/maintenance.
Daefae33

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas