Cabbages and stuff

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Cabbages and stuff

Postby arakell » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:05 pm

I know it was mentioned at some point, but I can't believe there are still no cabbages in game... And i see so many opportunities. Starting with some traditional Polish dishes such as Gołąbki (traditionally made with pork/beef - but just for fun could be made with pigeon meat - as "Gołąbki" means "pidgeons"), or Bigos.
Speaking of which... pickled foods! Pickled cucumbers (also very popular in Poland), sour cabbage (a.k.a. sauerkraut), but also other vegetables (beetroots, carrots, onions, olives... so much stuff can be pickled :D - fish as well in scandinavia, right? ).
This could mean an introduction of a pickling barrel that you'd have to fill with brine and put vegetables in (similar to how leather production works now) - maybe add modifiers by adding some dill and/or other spices (why don't we have garlic yet either?).
This might necessitate introduction of salt as an item (other than "salt crystals") - possibly by boiling out salt water (although brine could be created directly from salt water... or even just simply use salt water directly).
arakell

Re: Cabbages and stuff

Postby Procne » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:28 pm

I like gołąbki with rice and chicken meat instead, made by my mom. With mushroom sauce! mmmm
Procne

Postby tyrtix » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 pm

it's fascinating that one of the best survival and poor food is missing in EVERY single game like this: beans.

Btw, i still believe that marmalades and other preserved food, including pickled ones, SHOULD be in the game.
tyrtix

Postby shubla » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:38 am

tyrtix wrote:preserved food, including pickled ones

But if you add preserved food, it would be logical to add food spoiling mechanics as well, to make incentive for preserving food.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby arakell » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Food spoiling mechanic would make a lot of sense. It's silly how you can have mounds of raw meat just lying around everywhere - especially since it rots off a carcass really quickly. But once butchered... invulnerable!
Maybe even allow food in mines/cellars to spoil slightly slower than in houses/outside.
arakell

Postby tyrtix » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 pm

shubla wrote:
tyrtix wrote:preserved food, including pickled ones

But if you add preserved food, it would be logical to add food spoiling mechanics as well, to make incentive for preserving food.

Well, we have single nuts that are bigger than a steak....and we need to stock wine and cider in barrels and nothing else, or else it spoils...heh...
tyrtix

Postby arakell » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Procne wrote:I like gołąbki with rice and chicken meat instead, made by my mom. With mushroom sauce! mmmm

Also delicious - christmas gołąbki in my family: with rice, groats and mushrooms - no meat. (and coverted with some tomato sauce... but that's definitely out of scope of H&H)
... which brings me to one more crop we're absolutely missing: buckwheat! Buckwheat groats are delicious... (as are barley groats... but I guess what's currently named "barley seeds" might be treated as such)
arakell

Return to Critique & Ideas